Please complete this short survery regarding my senior design project

motoman9911

Mar 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have to distribute a survery to potential customers of the product I will be making for my senior design. This is about what you (the customer) would look for when purchasing a swingarm.

Can you guys help a out a fellow ATVer? Haha.

Quote this a put a number next to the features.

If there are other things that influence you that I did not list feel free to say them.

Rank using 1-5 with 5 being the most important. Whatever heavily influences your choice when purchasing a swingarm will be a 5. And lets say weight is not important to you, put a lower number.

Cost
weight
finish (PC, paint, etc)
material (alum, Ti, steel)
round axle carrier
sturdy
lead time
length

Cost 2
weight 3
finish (PC, paint, etc) 1
material (alum, Ti, steel) 5
round axle carrier 5
sturdy 5
lead time 2

and on length, that's going to need to be adjusted for application

i have to distribute a survery to potential customers of the product i will be making for my senior design. This is about what you (the customer) would look for when purchasing a swingarm.

Can you guys help a out a fellow atver? Haha.

If there are other things that influence you that i did not list feel free to say them.

Rank using 1-5 with 5 being the most important. Whatever heavily influences your choice when purchasing a swingarm will be a 5. And lets say weight is not important to you, put a lower number.

Cost 4
weight 2
finish (pc, paint, etc) 2
material (alum, ti, steel) 4
round axle carrier 2
sturdy 5
lead time ?????
Length 5

Cost 4
weight 4
finish (PC, paint, etc) 5
round axle carrier 3
sturdy 5
lead time 3
length 4

Cost 1
weight 5
finish (PC, paint, etc) 5
round axle carrier 4
sturdy 5
lead time 4
length 5

I have to distribute a survery to potential customers of the product I will be making for my senior design. This is about what you (the customer) would look for when purchasing a swingarm.

Can you guys help a out a fellow ATVer? Haha.

If there are other things that influence you that I did not list feel free to say them.

Cost 5
weight 3
finish (PC, paint, etc) 1
material (alum, Ti, steel) 4
round axle carrier 4
sturdy 5
lead time 1
length 1

cost is going to be a big thing, most people are not made of money
weight is important for drag racing the most, it matters in MX, trails shouldn't worry about it
bare metal would be the best, offer options to have it finished for more
material would go into cost and weight, Ti being the best.
sturdy is most important with MX, pretty important with trails, not so much with drag racing
lead time some people are assholes and want sh*t back quick, but people will wait if you are good
length should be an option

but for your swingarm, you better make it out of Ti, do what i f*cking told you.

cost is going to be a big thing, most people are not made of money
weight is important for drag racing the most, it matters in MX, trails shouldn't worry about it
bare metal would be the best, offer options to have it finished for more
material would go into cost and weight, Ti being the best.
sturdy is most important with MX, pretty important with trails, not so much with drag racing
lead time some people are assholes and want sh*t back quick, but people will wait if you are good
length should be an option

but for your swingarm, you better make it out of Ti, do what i f**cking told you.

Ti isn't cheap.

i know, but that is why you send out that mass letter to a sh*t load of companies that deal with Ti. you might get a couple that will donate some.

i know, but that is why you send out that mass letter to a sh*t load of companies that deal with Ti. you might get a couple that will donate some.

Ti flexes a lot more than steel, and its more expesive and isnt as strong. also it wouldnt be worrth it to spend so much on ti when you can just use good steel

Ti flexes a lot more than steel, and its more expesive and isnt as strong. also it wouldnt be worrth it to spend so much on ti when you can just use good steel

ti does not flex more nor is it weaker than steel it is more brittle than steel though !!!

Cost 5 - Cost is important to everyone no matter what they say!
weight 2 - Weight is only more important than cost to hardcore racers.
finish (PC, paint, etc) 4 - Add chrome to list. Pretty is important to the huge bling crowd.
material (alum, Ti, steel) 1 - This is controlled by the cost question.
round axle carrier 2 - Most buyers will use their stock carrier.
sturdy 5 - This site has made that important. Ask freek ... LOL
lead time 4 - I've found most peeps impatient.
length 4 - 3" or 4", most won't know the difference but once peeps decide what they want , that's it!

you really are dumb, please let the grown ups talk
Grade 5 Ti is stronger than steel at like half the weight. it wont flex like cheap steel.
there is a reason Ti cost way more than steel, it is better.

Cost.................................................. 6
weight............................................... 7
finish (PC, paint, etc).......................... 8
material (alum, Ti, steel)..................... 2 cromoly
round axle carrier................................ 5
sturdy............................................... 1
lead time........................................... 4
length .............................................. 3

Geometry/design 1!!! (not listed)

Ti's major advantage is its thermal stability, and yes it is stronger, therefor you can use thinner material.

Back in the late 80's when the sviet union was pretty much bankrupt, poohbear and I were seriously discussing getting frames made of Ti in russia as there aerospace industry was begging for work. Russia has really good Ti natural resorces so it is much cheaper and plentiful, aluminum on the other hand is more rare and not used as much there. At the time poohbear was working at Chemtronics as an engineer overseeing chem-milling of Ti parts for aerospace. It really helps learning to design quad parts having an actual rocket scientist as a roomate.

sorry meant more brittle, but it is more expensive, and if you could get like 4130 chromoly it would be way better, just look at bike parts everything ti is more expensive nad if you read about it people break ti stuff more than chromoly, Eastern Bikes Ti Bars Handlebars | Handlebars | Reviews, Weight, Specs, Price | Vital BMX they recommend that if you can break chromo then dont get these TI handlebars because they arent as strong. and sorry for the late reply i just got around to reading this.

Cost - 3
weight - 4
finish (PC, paint, etc) - 4
material (alum, Ti, steel) - 5
round axle carrier - 3
sturdy - 5
lead time - 2
length - 3