Oil Pump Priming

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
For those who use the standard oil pump, i decided to take some pics while i was busy priming a pump on my cousins bike.

oil pump priming/bleeding needs to be done to remove airlocks from the system to prevent your motor running for a while with no oil while the pump pumps out air instead of oil!

Air may find its way into the system when you flip the bike, run the oil tank empty or disconnect the pipe!

1st, you need to take off the oil pump engine cover! whoohoo!

IMG_1646.jpg

make sure your oil feed line running from the bottle is connected to the pump!

then you need to crack loose the little bleed screw, it hase a fiber washer under the screw head.
IMG_1647-1.jpg

once you do this, remove the screw and washer completely,

IMG_1651.jpg

when the screw is out, the oil should run out of the hole, you will notice air bubbles coming out as well, this is what you are trying to get rid of!

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

remember to put a tin or container under the pump the catch the oil else it will mess your floor up!

you may need to kick the motor over by hand a few times to get the bubbles out properly.

once you are happy that the bubbles are out, you should prime the line running from the pump to the carb, especially if you have had the carb off.
do this by unplugging the tube from the carb..

IMG_1653.jpg

get a nice syringe and fill it up with the 2 stroke oil you are using...

IMG_1654.jpg

now pump the syringe into the line running from the pump to the carb...

IMG_1655.jpg

when that is full, you are good to go! plug the pipe back onto the carb...

IMG_1656.jpg

and all should be set!

If you have rolled the bike, no matter how much oil is in the tank, perform the above bleeding cycle.

You most likely have air in the oil line which can stop oil getting to the carb. This can cause catastrophic engine failure.

Go to start of thread and follow instructions, you need to do all as explained. The tank needs oil in it to do the process.

Aha I see the problem "run the oil tank empty or disconnect the pipe!"

Go to the next line where it says "1st"

Start from there!

Last edited:
if you use up all the oil in the tank, it will suck air. read it in context..."Air may find its way into the system when...either of the things listed, seperated by commas, occurs.

Fill your oil reservoir
Mix 1/4 gallon of pre-mix 40:1
Start and run bike for 2 minutes
Fill with non pre-mix fresh gas DONE :)

Were do I get a nice syringe like that, I have checked 3 different auto parts stores around here and nothin?

haha, i actually have no idea, my dad has got two of them in their cases from somewhere, bit of a relic! they really are nice. i have never seen one in the shops before.

any syringe will work though, bum one off the druggie up the road :)