oil level ????

i would be willing to be you can see thru it but there is too much oil in so it looks like you cant. if it was me i would drain it out and watch the sight glass as it drains to see if u can see the oil level drop. if by some chance it is so crudded up u can either just put the 650cc's in and change it regularly or take the while clutch cover off and clean both sides of the sight glass.

^^ what he said. Its like 1/2 a quart or so.

One US quart is .987 L or 987 mL.

So 650 mL is 2/3 of a quart (or 21 fl oz, 1.5 pints, or 38 cubic inches of liquid depending on how you measure it).

I have the same problem. I just changed the oil and cleaned the outside of the glass, but can't see shi..... Looks like I am taking off the cover and cleaning the inside. Better safe than S.O.L.....

Just an FYI, the area between the center cases is not "flow-through" to the clutch cover easily. It takes a long time for it to "seep" through the sealed bearings. However, if anyone had ever cared to take notice.... the clutch cover and center cases share a distinctive feature. At the very back of both, there is a "catch basin" and a "pass-through". Of course, 650mL of oil doesn't reach that high BUT when the engine is running the outer ring gear on the clutch IS dipping into the oil in the clutch cover and throwing it all over everywhere. This catch basin and pass through is designed to catch what the clutch basket is throwing around and run it into the center case halves to lube the transmission. If you filled up the clutch cover, waited about 1/3 of a second, didn't start the quad, and tried to look through the sight glass you will fail horribly.... the level in the clutch cover will be FAR above the sight glass.

The trick to the blaster sight glass is as follows. Drain out the transmission fluid completely (make sure the blaster is flat and level because there are pockets in there it can hide if the quad isn't level) and reinstall the drain plug. Take off the filler plug and pour in (preferrably using a funnel so you can be halfway accurate) 2/3 of a quart of wet clutch compatible liquid. Re-install the fill plug and start the quad. Drive it around the yard real quick to make sure you filled the transmission area up to the "proper" level and come back to check the fluid level through the sight glass. The idea behind the sight glass isn't to make sure you put the correct amount of oil in during a change but to be able to check the current level in the transmission during a ride (to ensure you aren't going to run out)

I *believe* the manual specifies checking the level with the engine off but I actually like to do it with the engine idling. It usually requires I add just a BIT more fluid but I'm ok with that, just a tiny bit extra insurance for my transmission if anything happened.... If you have to add any more than a little dribble to it, you're adding too much. OVERFILLING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID CONSIDERABLY CAN CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE RIGHT SIDE CRANK SEAL. Never put more than 3/4 of a quart of transmission fluid in your bottom end or the hydrostatic pressure on the outside of the seal can "push" the seal inwards and actually cause your engine to start burning your transmission fluid.

If your engine is already burning transmission fluid (fluid's disappearing, no leaks, no drips, and your blaster's exhaust smells like ass are good indications) you waited WAY too long to find the source by doing a leak-down test and determining you had an air leak. You need to stop running it immediately and pull the right side (clutch side) crank seal out and replace it after doing a leakdown test to confirm that seal is leaking (and not the case halves behind the balancer gear or the transmission).

Should put that post ^^^ in the DIY section somewhere (sticky'd?), people are constantly asking why the sight glass is completely filled when they change their oil.

It stumped me also...but I knew I put the correct amount in so I took it for a quick spin and then checked, good to go.

ive been told it should take 1 quart. is that wrong?? it only takes half a quart of oil??

I just add a quart and call it a day.

Not only are you risking your right side crank seal but you're misleading other folks who may believe that a whole quart is the proper amount of transmission lube....

Why would you pour in a whole quart when it clearly states RIGHT ABOVE THE HOLE YOU'RE POURING THE OIL INTO, the volume that you need to add?

Have you ever measured the minor amount between 650ml to a full qt?Its minimal.Im not telling anyone anything i simply stated what method i use.

ive had no issues and it works for me if you want to measure your trans fluid out to the "T" fine i throw a qt in and its good to go.Now premix im like a rocket scientist (LOL) when it comes to that i measure that out perfect.But in the trans its so close in my opinion to a qt i just throw it in it dont burn it and it rarely pukes out any so id say its good to go.

And to the OP my sight glass to was all mucked up so when i rebuilt it i used the parts washer and soaked it ans it cleaned up like new.

But im sure brake kleen or something along those lines would work.Gasoline is a pretty good solvent so possibly try that.

:eek: I can tell you the difference between 650 mL and a full quart 337 mL..... which I would usually agree is a small amount except that 99% of the fluid bottles have clear strip down the side and markings on them to tell you how much you've poured out. It's actually just as easy to pour out the correct amount (or within reason) than it is to pour in the incorrect amount....

:eek: I can tell you the difference between 650 mL and a full quart 337 mL..... which I would usually agree is a small amount except that 99% of the fluid bottles have clear strip down the side and markings on them to tell you how much you've poured out. It's actually just as easy to pour out the correct amount (or within reason) than it is to pour in the incorrect amount....

Ill agree with that but im ok with the extra little bit.Not trying to be difficult but i just dont see it as an issue so i dont sweat it bro.Appreciate the advice though.

Im not shur i under stand all this but i changed my cluch today and put oil in it till the sight glass was full when i start it oil disapers if i was guessing i would say that when the cluch is spinnig and throwing oil but ive never noticed it before now i also had to add some oil is this right or screwed up also i notice part of the push rod that slides out with the presser plate swivels a little but the nut is tight is this normal thanks

Im not shur i under stand all this but i changed my cluch today and put oil in it till the sight glass was full when i start it oil disapers if i was guessing i would say that when the cluch is spinnig and throwing oil but ive never noticed it before now i also had to add some oil is this right or screwed up also i notice part of the push rod that slides out with the presser plate swivels a little but the nut is tight is this normal thanks

The sight glass can lie, just dump in 650ml, any more and you risk blowing a crankshaft oil seal due to pressure build up in the gear box.

The breather tube, is a haven for critters that like open tubes to block.

The push rod should have a little free play.

kinda odd but its intresting a blaster bottem end dos take 650ml. whats weard is my dt200 side case with pump. has 750ml and the bottem ends are the exact same maybe cuz of the higher speeds and thinner main shafts???