Oh craigslist...

Mar 16, 2011
Utica, New York
I will start off by saying this isn't a very "odd" or "crazy" craigslist experience, but more of just be careful what you're looking at. So the guy said in the ad that he had a 1996 CR250 which was running fine and he parked it, then when he went to ride it again it wouldn't start. He already took the top end off (without compression testing it) and said it looked "fine", and gave up figuring out what was wrong. So me and a buddy wanted to go halves on it, fix it, and sell it for profit. My buddy and I went down to look at it and you could just tell it was a total piece of crap. the plastics were extremely sun faded and cracked. the paint on the frame was crappy, and the seat had no cover to it. Thanks to you guys of blasterforum, I checked the connecting rod on the crank for any play, and thank god I did! Side-to-side movement was within spec, however I went to check for up and down movement and it literally moved a centimeter on the crankshaft!! I asked the guy if he heard any engine noise when it was running and he said no...(either he's stupid or lying out his ass). Needless to say we passed, and he took it down from craigslist. So even if you know it's a project bike, be careful it's not too far gone.

Had a similar experience with a blaster. Guy wanted 700 and said new topend but had a hole in clutch cover. Come to find out the right case had a big hole, crank was bad, rings installed wrong and bent, and clips bent and hitting cylinder wall. Got her for $200 lol

Oh yeah I love this forum. My buddy I mentioned has a blaster that won't start and I'm using your advice to give him advice lol. He's changing the wodruff key first and if it doesn't start then, I may have to conjur up a leak tester to use :rolleyes:

Good job checking out the 250, and good move helping your Buddy out. He will pay it back.

Atleast a blind man would have been able to fit the gaskets by feel instead of my seller using grey silicone on everything. Not a single gasket! Guy wasn't happy when i called him to say that he ruined a brand new cylinder and wiseco piston by wingin it

Some people would lie to God himself to make a sale. You really have to know your stuff or you will get screwed .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually going to look at a blown up 450 right now that's on craigslist. I hate selling on craigslist.

What a Dog's bottom, I just left the house and he calls saying he sold it. I cursed him out.

What a Dog' bottom, I just left the house and he calls saying he sold it. I cursed him out.

That remodeling me. Had that happen with an LTZ I was going to buy. It was an hour away from me. Told the guy I was on the way with cash. He said OK and see you when you get here. Got there in 45 minutes to be told it was sold half hour ago. I was so mad!

That remodeling me. Had that happen with an LTZ I was going to buy. It was an hour away from me. Told the guy I was on the way with cash. He said OK and see you when you get here. Got there in 45 minutes to be told it was sold half hour ago. I was so mad.

It's happened to me multiple times, when I sell quads from now on I will do the same thing. I try to be nice and honest but It dosnt help.

Reactions: blasterdemon7