No Spark!!!

royalt67

May 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, Southern Oregon
Ok, guys. This one has me scratching my head a bit. 2_smoked brought his 96 Blaster over for me to look at. Wouldn't start, wet plug, had what looked like a good spark, backfires occasionally. Sounded easy enough, went through all the basics, compression, fuel, spark,....all looked good. Didn't even sound like it was trying tho.

About the time he had to leave I decided to start checking electrical stuff. Unpluged the stator harness, Ohmmed the pulse coil, stator coil, ignition coil, plug wire. All looked good, within specs. Tried to start again, no spark. WTF? Spent another hour or so rechecking connections, Ohmmed the same stuff from up front by the CDI, still looks good. Grounds are good. Unplugged the blk/wht (kill line) from the CDI. Nope. Swapped CDI from my 94. Nope.

Great, so now it's gone from bad to worse in my garage and I feel like a d-head. Any ideas? I haven't swapped in my spare stator yet, but thats about the only idea I've got.

Last edited:
looks like the only thing you didn't try was an ignition coil. i'd also double check to make sure it hasn't sheared the flywheel key

Reactions: royalt67
Just had the mag/flywheel off the other day when we put in his seals. His original problem was smoking/poor running, then we did the seals, then it wouldn't start, now no spark. Certainly sounds like something was getting progressively bad.

Checked the coil per the manual, primary and secondary ohmmed out good, even the plug cap. I was leaning towards a coil before it stopped sparking entirely. I will prob swap that out too just to be sure.

the pulse might be too fast for you to pick up on a meter while you're kicking it, but i'd try a different stator since you've got a couple other blasty's there.....and double check all the grounds

Im gonna lean toward the stator too man.

And my DMM is quick enough to register voltage on a kick at the orange wire. My stator was bad, and it was still putting out spark, and 3-4 volts on a kick. Not good enough to start, but it was sparking.

Good point, and I was using a analog meter for that test. Needle should have wiggled a bit at least. I didn't want to dig into it further without 2_smoked there, but I see a stator swap in the future.

Good point, and I was using a analog meter for that test. Needle should have wiggled a bit at least. I didn't want to dig into it further without 2_smoked there, but I see a stator swap in the future.

Man, I can't thank you enough. Royal has put in many hours of work on my blaster and I just met the guy. Not only did we spend an afternoon/evening putting in new seals, but he even fed me dinner I:I After taking it home to put back in my bike, it started first kick, backfired and died. He offered me his assistance again and I brought the blaster over in the morning, I could only stay for a couple of hours but he continued to troubleshoot. I appreciate so much, I owe you big time. If you feel the need to tear that thing apart by all means, feel free. With that being said, if you also feel the need to pour gas on it, roll it out in the street, set it ablaze....feel free. I decided that it must have a "virus," that starts its feast in the motor then moves to eat all electrical. It has in turn been spread to my warrior as well. When I went riding the other day I was putting down a trail and my bike died, so I pulled in the clutch and coasted down the hill. I thought it might be heat fade, so I popped it in neutral, the green light with the N on it came on, and I turned the key off. Waited about 15 minutes, turned the key the light would not come back on. so I pushed it down to the main road and called to get a ride back. The person I talked to showed up on a dirtbike so had that person stay with the quad while I went and got the truck. I know it was in neutral because i pushed it like a half a mile but when I came back it was stuck in gear and I cant get it out. Is my luck seriously this bad....?

Good news, all is well. Brandon called it. Sheared flywheel key. I guess that goes to show you just can't assume something is good just because it was good a couple days ago. It must have sheared the first time 2_Smoked fired it up.

The fact that it didn't have any spark at all still puzzles me, but like a wise man once said, "Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good!"

I dont have a flywheel nut no, I just bought an extra woodruff key when I was troubleshooting my no spark problem cause it was a common thing. Mine was fine tho so I have an extra. You got a yamaha dealership by you?

If you dont, I can prolly just order one and send it with the stuff if you need one. I have one by me.

i'd go ahead and swap that baby out while you're in there, and make sure that nut is on and torqued to spec (maybe tighter)