No power from CDI to spark plug wire

Blevins14

Jan 25, 2012
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and feel there are some very knowledgeable people on here. I'm hoping for some help. I used RatBlaster's wiring diagram he has posted on here. It basically where I need the least amount of wires to run engine, CDI, Voltage Regulator, Kill switch and headlights. My problem is that I am not getting any spark to the Coil. Light tester is not even coming on when I touch it to the orange wire coming out of CDI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and feel there are some very knowledgeable people on here. I'm hoping for some help. I used RatBlaster's wiring diagram he has posted on here. It basically where I need the least amount of wires to run engine, CDI, Voltage Regulator, Kill switch and headlights. My problem is that I am not getting any spark to the Coil. Light tester is not even coming on when I touch it to the orange wire coming out of CDI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure if your working on a 03-06 model that you s follow this step or you will never get spark!
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/03-06-tors-removal-diy-41973/

If it's an older model, 87-02 just unplugged is good.

And the power goes from the stator coil, Blk/red wire to CDI , then the orange wire to the coil. The pick up side is white/red if the black/red checks ok.

Really sounds like a ground issue!

I tried doing the ohm testing on the two wires and the white and red checks out at 19, but I'm having trouble getting the black and red wire to read anything on the multimeter. Would this be source coil. If so would that cause the problem I explained earlier

Yes it could be the problem. Make sure you have the leads on the correct wire, red goes to the black/red wire and your black lead goes to solid black wire (ground).

I tried doing the ohm testing on the two wires and the white and red checks out at 19, but I'm having trouble getting the black and red wire to read anything on the multimeter. Would this be source coil. If so would that cause the problem I explained earlier

yes .

Yea I tried it again with the same result. Still no reading. So I'm going to try and replace this source coil and see if it will run.

Alright guys I am having the exact same problem after replacing the whole stator. Again what is happening is that I am getting power to the yellow and red but nothing to the black and red wire going to the cdi. so no power to the spark plug. all help would be appreciated.

Check the ground wire behind the voltage regulator and also the one at the coil. check all splices on the ground wire in the harness.

If I am correct the whole stator works off one ground wire so if the lights are getting power then should it be sending power to the CDI

Don't argue, check that ALL grounds are clean and tight. Did any of this work before you "modified" your wiring harness? What year is this? Are ALL components from same year? What's up with your TORS and parking brake switch?

Just to give everyone an update on this problem. I did some part swapping with another blaster and found out the problem was the flywheel. It went bad so just need to order the new one.