(No Good Deed Goes Unpunished) Rebuild

Mcaroonie

Apr 19, 2013
Albany, New York
So my 15 year old nephew from Connecticut calls me up and says " I blew up my 2003 blaster, can you help me?"

Me being the nice guy I am, I say "Sure".

I go down there from Upstate NY and go pick up the quad in my truck. When I get home and survey the damage I see that he has hit the right side lower A arm so hard with a rock that he has totally bent the frame ( on the lower left side) about 8 degrees out of whack. On top of that he drove through a puddle of mud with a sock for an air filter and sucked all of this crap into the top end.

The Damaged A Arm

IMG_0546.jpg

The Bend in Frame

IMG_0545.jpg

So we make plans for him to come on up for a week and we will start the fresh rebuild.

In the meantime I have secured a used 2001 Blaster with descent plastics, Front disk brakes, a solid frame, 2 boxes of spare parts, 3 separate engines, oil injection removal kit ( new in wrapper), Tors removal kit ( in wrapper), all bearings and seals to rebuild swing arm in wrappers, all for 400 bucks.

While I am waiting for him to come up I decide that we will do this right and strip it all down to the bone and do a proper rebuild. So I build a Blasting cabinet for all of the parts that we will have to do.

A couple weeks go by and he makes his way up here for a while and we are sand blasting away at the frame at my father in-laws house. The compressor shuts off and dies after an hour of work. Come to find out I ended up frying the motor ( 230 volts 1.5 hp Eaton). The motor and the compressor were installed in 1994, at first I thought I just fried the start capacitor, so I bought a new one, turned the compressor back on and a plume of smoke that would make Mount Saint Helen jealous comes up out of the motor.

Burnt Motor and Compressor

IMG_0554.jpg

So i go to buy a used motor from the local electric motor shop and I get a used Dayton 1.5 HP for 175 dollars. Now the compressor still wont start so I have to either jump up to a 2 hp at 400 dollars (out of my own pocket) or buy a new 60 gallon compressor. ( This is the punishment for the good deed of helping my nephew.)

The moral of this story is to pay to have your frame sandblasted by a professional or find a different way.

But I digress, Back to the good stuff.

We start to hand sand, wire wheel and clean the frame.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

My nephew bales on me to go back to Connecticut, and leaves me to do the rest.

I have painted with 2 coats primer, 2 coats base, and at least 2 coats clear. Everything is still hanging in the barn drying for a couple of days.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

I must give thanks to this forum and its Members / Supporters for it's valuable information regarding my rebuild journey. I have spent hours reading what cool fun stuff I can try out. I will be sad when I have to give the blaster back to my nephew( maybe build one of my own), but there is still more of the rebuild to do. Hopefully more pictures to come.

The rebuild looks good so far, it sounds like you have enough parts to start piecing one together for yourself too.

My suggestion would be to do the full break-in before you take it back. No young kid is going to ride at only half throttle for a tank of fuel. X(

Some rep for your "punishment" I:I

My suggestion would be to do the full break-in before you take it back. No young kid is going to ride at only half throttle for a tank of fuel. X(

Some rep for your "punishment" I:I

After he bailed on me and barely did any work I am going to keep this thing for a while. lol

I will give it to him nice and broken in...

do you have any spare full exhausts layin around?

I have two exhaust pipes and 3 stock silencers

The problem is I have an unknown exhaust with no markings. if you search my posts from back in May I posted a picture of them both trying to find out what it was. Someone suggested that it was a DG Alien? It has also been stated it is not much better than stock. If you can wait a while after I do the rebuild, I will sell you the one I do not use. I want to find out for myself the difference between the two pipes when the bike is running, I will put the "better" one on the bike and sell the extra. But if you need it instantly, do not wait on me.

Where you from in CT I grew up in Torrington and Winsted.

While I am waiting for clear coats to dry I am redoing the 2003 blaster motor bottom end (Seals, Bearings), And because I have 4 jugs as spares I tried, ( KOR DIY Porting).

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

I still have to hit up the exhaust and transfer ports with a 1000 grit wet but they look a hell of a lot better, I can’t wait to see if there is any noticeable improvement.

Using the Steel wool and Mop and Glow method for bringing shine back into those old plastics.

10 quick coats later....

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Thanks Blaster Forum.com!

and

Thanks Paulie B for your great thread!!!!!!!!!!!I:I

Got axle? lol

What hubs are those? sure are big...

They come off of a 2001 Kawasaki Mojave. I got them for free from a friend with ITP Rims and tires and wanted to see if they would fit because I liked the rims over stock ones. I tried using stock hubs for the ITP rims but the lug pattern will not match up.

I am having issues though, the right side hubs from the Mojave slide on with no resistance, but the left will not go on (as you can see in the last picture).

So I might not be able to make use of them.

Try flipping the sides, and try a different axle.

To tell you the truth I probably have the 3 strangest axles on the planet.

The axle on the bike the hub slides on the right no problem, left gives problems.

The first axle on the ground ( the other 2001 axle) has too much play when it is in the housing so I can not use it, Left side has something like 20 thousandth extra wiggle room. I measured the axles with calipers and found excessive wear on the left side of the axle where the bearing ends up sitting. I first thought it was the bearings in the housing so I rebuilt the whole swing arm.

The bottom axle is from an 2003 blaster. On that axle neither of the Mojave hubs slide onto the axle.

Like the color combo!! Rattle can? What brand?
As to the hubs, if it fits on neither end it's the hub, if one end but not other it's axle. Check for burrs and touch up with flat file.
Highly suggest anti seize on axle where spacer fits and on all hub splines, it ensures it will come apart years from now. Might also suggest grease zerk in carrier.

Like the color combo!! Rattle can? What brand?
As to the hubs, if it fits on neither end it's the hub, if one end but not other it's axle. Check for burrs and touch up with flat file.
Highly suggest anti seize on axle where spacer fits and on all hub splines, it ensures it will come apart years from now. Might also suggest grease zerk in carrier.

It is actually my first attempt at using a gun to paint. I used to rattle can everything because i did not care to put forth the prepping effort. But for this build I am tearing every inch of this bike apart and rebuilding.

For the frame

2 x Primer coats

2 or 3 base coats ( got the base at PEP BOYS)

IMG_0601.jpg

3 coats clear ( From Tractor supply store)

IMG_0602.jpg

All the other stuff

2x primer

2 x base ( had the base left over from when our vehicle was painted, I added some deep blue to bring it all together)

IMG_0603.jpg

2 x clear

I actually like the frame a lot, but do not like how all of the peripherals ( swing arm, pegs and arms) came out. I used less expensive paint. With it being my first attempt at using a compressor paint gun, I thought it prudent to not spend 200 - 300 on paint and end up having an expensive sh*tty paint job. I went with a cheap sh*tty paint job instead.

Are you happy with the tractor supply clear coat? I've never tried it, just curious about it.

I may have not applied it properly, using the right nozzle size for spray gun.

that being said, I do not care for it as it has been over a week and it is still not set properly, after the week of waiting that it states in the directions. I set the frame on a drop cloth to protect it and it stuck to the clear coat. I find that it also chips easily in some of the spots. But I attribute the inconsistency to my lack of experience in using the product.