Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide is 27% Oxygen by Volume and 33% Oxygen by Weight LOL ITS A OXIDIZER!!!!!! . Its funny that someone " who's used it on every drag car they've ever had " wouldn't know this .
As far as the OP , Build a REAL motor , 240 big bore , big carb , a good exhaust like a Toomey and have the engine ported . Your thumb will be the magic button that uncorks all that power whenever you want it . and all you gotta do is fill the tank.

1bAD442 YOU'VE GOT SOME SPLAINING TO DO !!!!!!

nos does not contain oxygen in any way or form inside the bottle what iot does do is create an
atmosphere to burn lots more oxygen hence the reason it makes more power but the oxygen alone will not work without extra gas like u said

u retards better read awks definition and read the part where it says similar to molecular oxygen lol

I'm actually reading ^^^^^^ that first post.... specifically where it says "nos does not contain oxygen in an way or form"

someone write to wikipedia and correct their definition then,
cause it says " it reacts with oxygen"
not contains oxygen ???

says "oxide of nitrogen" and .........
" At elevated temperatures, nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer SIMILAR to molecular oxygen"

that 2 nitrogen/1 oxygen sounds like fresh air to me

I was planning on installing a +3 stroker crank, a 240 BB kit, a HD clutch kit, removing the TORS, A +4 timing advance, and some kind of exhaust. I have already bought a tusk +6 rear axle, a +6 widening kit, and tusk nerf bars. I probably don't even need to put NOS on it but like I said before I think I just want to be able to say I have it. I also have a 14 tooth front sprocket.

Last edited:
someone write to wikipedia and correct their definition then,
cause it says " it reacts with oxygen"
not contains oxygen ???

says "oxide of nitrogen" and .........
" At elevated temperatures, nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer SIMILAR to molecular oxygen"

N2O is unstable. It degrades into NO (nitric oxide) and ozone and then rereacts in a stability reaction with ozone. The part about nitrous oxide being the main stratospheric regulator to ozone is about that balanced reaction where N2O and ozone continually react to balance each other. It's part of why stratospheric N2O is SUCH a strong greenhouse gas....

Enough about that! The point is, N20 is a VERY strong oxidizer and the trouble with adding a lot of oxygen to the mix, is getting enough fuel into the mix to match. Without additional fuel your engine WILL NOT LAST LONG.

I have toyed with the idea of using a passive fuel delivery system utilizing a pressurized emulsion tube bypassing the regular induction system and injecting into the side of the intake window. It would only require the power of the nitrous oxide bottle (or small handlebar mount cylinder) to pressurize and inject the fuel and oxygen....

hit the books!!! N2O is straight up what the_mrs said, but who am i to know? :D

OMG, we're breathing N2O...............

Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases

sounds like roughly 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen to me ?
78% to 20%

we should all be LMFAO and ROFL !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the atmospheric concentration of N20 is ABOUT 310 ppb (parts per billion) which is .00310% by volume. We are breathing tiny amount of nitrous oxide all the time, with every breath.

78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen is about 4:1. Nitrous oxide is 66% nitrogen and 33% oxygen or 2:1....... see how it works now? Sorta like having a small paper fire and blowing on it moderately hard (and that's not even increasing the percentage of oxygen in the gas, just increasing the amount of oxygen passing across the fuel!)

My turn, I don't know much but....
A nitrous oxide molecule is made up of 2 atoms of nitrogen and 1 atom of oxygen. By weight it is 36% oxygen (air is only 23.6% oxygen).

Straight from my daughters school book, ya she the smart one of the family!!

Would a propane setup like a diesel runs work? It would add a specific amount of "fuel" to the lean condition that the N2O creates, and both can all be ran off of 1 switch.

Would a propane setup like a diesel runs work? It would add a specific amount of "fuel" to the lean condition that the N2O creates, and both can all be ran off of 1 switch.

Propane in a diesel works really well because it increases the "timing", believe it or not. Some of the propane explodes as the air is compressed (but before the injectors fire) preheating the air even hotter than compression alone. Some of the propane isn't combusted just before the injection event and continues to burn even down inside the squish area better completely combusting the available air.

Propane COULD be used to (at least partially) offset the oxygen demands of the fuel but matching the incoming propane fuel demands and incoming oxidizer would be a nightmare because of the differences in head space pressure due to cooling gas stores. As the temperatures in the bottles drop, the amount of boiling happening in the bottle drops which means the head space pressure changes (hence the need for nitrous bottle tank heaters to keep the pressure up!) simply "jetting" the two with orifices won't necessarily match the two over both their temperature profiles.....