new top end.

Darrell

Feb 23, 2008
Ok the blaster has finally pissed me off enough and i just ordered my top end! Im gonna use the DIY guide but is there any tips or secrets i should know before i start this? This is my first time!! And how do you put your bikes and mod list on here? And what is the break in process i should use when i am done?

Last edited:
i cant help you with the top end stuff but for the sigs. jus go to user cp and on the left side there will be a section called edit sigs.

i got the motor out and the top end apart and it really didnt look to bad to me but now im just waiting on my kit to come in!

i was always been told to run 2 tanks of gas atleast and never go over half throttle this could be wrong.i always coat the sleeve with alittle oil before i put the piston in to. which i see most machine shops do it this all could be wrong so keep askin around to make sure i dont wanna be the reason ur motor blows up

lol well i gotta have someone to take the blame if it does, cause im not!!! lol..

it has always worked for me and that is what yamaha shops have told me..im not sure if putting oil in the sleeve has much inpack but i wouldnt think u would wanna dry run it up in there and when i got mine back from machine shop yesterday it had oil in the sleeve. but still ask around to see what other guys tell you

well im not gonna dry run it thats for sure!! That would probally be a little rough on my virgin blaster!! But what type of oil up put in it?

on any bike I have rebuilt, I have always put oil on hte cylinder wall. As far as breaking in the engine, there is a thread on here somewhere. It goes something like ride it for 15 minutes then let it cool for a half hour. Do this like 5 or 6 times, increasing the amount of throttle you give it with every ride. After that you are good to go. I rebuilt my CR 125 and let it idle for a couple minutes, and then took a couple laps around my house giving it little throttle. I let it cool down, changed the oil and then beat the hell out of it. The top end is over 2 years old, and the bike gets ridden very hard just about every weekend and still has tons of compression. I always mix the gas at 20 to 1 for the break in tank, even though it will foul plugs a lot faster.

It's easy

Top ends are a breeze. Pay attention to the torque, it's also easy to strip sh*t out. If "it looks good" why are you changing it?

A

Bigdblaster, I hope that when you got your cylinder back from the machine shop you scrubbed the s$^t out of it with liquid dish soap or some similar detergent type soap, the oil that is left over is a protective oil placed on it from the machine shop to inhibit rust ( i believe its cosmoline ) you should always scrub and test with a paper towel till the paper comes out clean, you'll find that there still is dust/abrasive left on the crosshatch, machine shops do the machining they expect you to do all the prep when its time to assemble...otherwise as Old said tops are a breeze, just make sure you have the proper tools ( piston pin puller, torque wrench, and the offset boxend for torqing the jug bolts to spec... ) GL!!

well i already ordered the kit and have it apart and its a stock 01 so i figure i might as well do it now!! But as for the torque specs does any one know what they are? Im very glad you guys mentioned that because i forgot all about it. thank you!!

just dl the repair manual under the DIY section...it gives you the torque specs...if i remember right the jug is 20ft lbs and the head is 18....but check the manual it'll tell you...

thanks guys it'll probally be this weekend before everythings all done ill post final results!!!

yeah i clean the sleeve out i guess i should of put that sorry sometimes what im thinking i dont always write but that breakin process probably the way to go i would get about 2 cases of beer though or u will go nuts

yeah its gonna be boring but i dont take beer when i ride its unsafe...

I Take Whores!!!