New Horse In The Stable

knock10090

Jul 2, 2015
Over on the general support forum I posted about a project that just picked up. This was supposed to be a flipper quad to fund my CNC plasma table, but when I brought it home my CFO (chief financial officer) said that maybe she wanted to keep it. I currently run an 87 LT250r. I redid this quad from the frame up and it's a blast to ride. My son has a predator 90 and my daughter has an LT80. So what's one more horse in the stable.

I picked up a 2001 Blaster for $200. The motor was locked up and it appears to have been rolled. There were many aftermarket parts and all the plastic was all good.

image.jpg

So I did some research and signed up on here. Came up with a plan and a budget sitting on beach in NC and was ready to go when I got home.

Did a full strip to the frame. One of my supervisors was checking up on things.

image.jpg

Went through and replaced hardware, torqued, greased, and painted the frame and suspension. Replacement parts were all ordered. The quad came with rental fat pars and a twist throttle. I converted it back to a thumb throttle. The steering stem was badly bent so I straightened it by cutting out the bend and raised it 1.5 inches. I love my tig welder.

image.jpg

Continued.

The motor tear down was going to be new to me. I gained a lot of confidence from watching Ken on his KOR YouTube channel. The leak down test was bad and all my air was escaping from the crankcase vent. After pinching off the tube I was able to hold 6 lbs for 10 min. The ultimate problem I uncovered was a broken piston skirt and broken stator side case.
image.jpg

I was able to TIG the case damage and make a good solid repair.

image.jpg

I checked all my clearances and set it aside until my crank kit comes this week. The top end was sent to Ken for a bore. I didn't go with a port job this time around. My wife is new to riding sport quads and 2 strokes. I am however undecided what to do with the head for now. Here is a pic of it. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

Reactions: harley1-5
I finally got my garage cleaned up from all the tear down. I got the blaster back to a roller after 4 days. That included polishing aluminum. I installed a simple decal kit and ordered some pink flair to customize it. I ordered a new custom seat cover from eBay.
image.jpg
As of today. Here is the roller.

Now I'm undecided. I have 18x10-8 on the rear of my LT. The Blaster has 20x11-9 and they look big for it. This pic shows the 18's on the blaster. I have a 24 spline axle on the LT so the hubs swap!

Here is my LT with the 20's on.

image.jpg

As I progress I will keep things posted. I'm inching to put that motor back together.

nice work so far, stellar tig welds !!!!!
the 20's will serve you well on the blaster, closer to the stock 21's that the stock 13/40 gearing works with

Reactions: knock10090
nice work so far, stellar tig welds !!!!!
the 20's will serve you well on the blaster, closer to the stock 21's that the stock 13/40 gearing works with

Thanks! I didn't think about the size of the wheel and its relation to the gearing. Good catch.

Nice Blaster and Also nice Lt !.. As far as the head all that gunk/carbon should clean right off. Also nice job on the case and steering stem repair. If you wanted to increase comp a bit for a couple xtra ponies you can shave the head down a tad to set the squish correctly..

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html

I will look into that. I almost threw it in the box with my cylinder but decided the next rebuild I'll have a port job and head nod done at the same time.

Ok. Made some more progress this afternoon. I slapped together an aluminum bumper.

image.jpg

My wife decided to put her touches on it with some pink.

image.jpg

With all the roller just about done. I moved onto prepping for the motor build. I was evaluating the reeds. It appears I need some new ones. Aren't the pedals supposed to lay flat?

image.jpg

And, do you guys think I need to run a Reed spacer? This is the setup it came with. A pro design intake with a Reed spacer.

image.jpg

Reactions: 82cutty
Slapped together a bumper ?!?! It looks like you bought it like that.. New reeds I would say yes. As far as the spacer that's up to you. You can try it with and without and then decide if you want it or not. I run a reed spacer with the same intake only because outlet of the pro design intake has that thing sticking out and it wouldn't fit onto my reed cage unless I used the spacer (Vf 2's) It might fit with the stock cage im not sure.

I got a jig for bumpers and a tubing bender. I can make them fairly quick.

I will think about the spacer. What benefits are there to running one?

The stock cage works with the pro intake without the spacer.

Made some more progress. Have some down time while my cylinder is being done by KOR. Heard there was a death in Ken's family. Wishing him the best.

I was able to get my carb all cleaned and back together. Even painted carb.
image.jpg

Case covers cleaned and painted.
image.jpg

Ok. Almost there. Sold some left over parts and acquired a CHEAP set of 300ex Works Shocks. Now I've been doing my research and I know they are like 1.5 inch shorter.

What do you think about extending my lower A Arm shock mounts @ 1.5 inch to compensate? This winter, after summer riding season, I'm going to fab up a new set of A Arms.

I know I'm going to lose something but I think I'll gain a better ride. Again, this is my wife's ride and she doesn't jump or go too crazy.

Just got email from UPS. My KOR bored cylinder and head mod will be here tomorrow! Last parts needed to finish motor.

Also just bought a 400ex shock!

Looking good. When you put the front shocks on you will be a tad lower like you said, but if your not ridding over big rocks or anything than you should be just fine. Just like when someone puts a lowering kit on one. It should handle much better but allot will depend on what and how those shocks were previously set up. As far as the 400ex rear shock that's a sweet cheap upgrade. (You get order the bushings from Ken right ?)

I just remembered that you may need to run the spacer in order to get the carb to fit properly. Im not sure with your particular carb but for some reason I remember I had to use one to push the carb back. I think the bowl was hitting something ??

Last edited:
Looking good. When you put the front shocks on you will be a tad lower like you said, but if your not ridding over big rocks or anything than you should be just fine. Just like when someone puts a lowering kit on one. It should handle much better but allot will depend on what and how those shocks were previously set up. As far as the 400ex rear shock that's a sweet cheap upgrade. (You get order the bushings from Ken right ?)

I just remembered that you may need to run the spacer in order to get the carb to fit properly. Im not sure with your particular carb but for some reason I remember I had to use one to push the carb back. I think the bowl was hitting something ??

Yup. The bushings from KOR are all ordered up.
As far as the previous setup. I will see how they are but eventually I will send them to Hygear Suspension in Ithaca NY to have them along with the rear 400ex shock rebuilt and setup for her. I sent the used works that are on my LT to them. AWESOME work and ride now.

I will check the stance when they are on and see if she runs into clearance issues. If so. I think I have an adjustment to the stock lower a arm that will gain that stock ride height back.

nice lt and the blaster looks like its gonna be sweet.You are probably gonna need to run the spacer I believe a larger carb will interfere with the clutch arm

nice lt and the blaster looks like its gonna be sweet.You are probably gonna need to run the spacer I believe a larger carb will interfere with the clutch arm

Thanks! I have just as much fun working and cleaning the quads as I do riding them! The carb spacer is something that I didnt think about. Tomorrow we will find out if it fits.. UPS tracking shows my KOR prepped top end will be here TOMORROW!