New guy help get my blaster going!

hardhat

Jul 7, 2009
phoenix, AZ
alright guys I am new to the site but not new to bikes/quads. I just picked up an 01 blaster and am having a hell of a time jetting this thing!

I have read through all the stickys and wanted to see if I am missing something. First off I brought the bike home and the bike was running pretty crappy so I did a full carb clean, changed oil, and cleaned filter. The bike is running really really rich. Just for a quick test I pulled the airbox lid off and made a run, the bike ran 10x's better so right away I could tell it was to rich. I put the air box lid back on (because i want to leave it on) and am going to drop the main jet.

the bike has a 260 main in it right now.

The other problem i am having is getting the bike to idle. with the air screw turned all the way in the bike will rev, and idle down real quick but I can tell its to rich so I turn the airscrew out and anything past 1/2 turn OUT the bike wants to idle really high... when I rev the bike it doesnt want to idle down at all!

this is where I am stuck. the pilot jet is a 32.

also the dealer told me that this model doesnt have an adjustable needle/clip... I havent verified this yet but does this sound right??

THANKS a ton!!!

you need to tell us more about the bike, is it a stock exhaust? and air filter??
my only mod is a uni filter,stock exhaust, and im running a 230 main jet with the needle on the 2nd position down from top,airscrew 1 1/2 turns out, and yes your carbs needle is adjustable too, if its the stock mikuni carb

you need to tell us more about the bike, is it a stock exhaust? and air filter??
my only mod is a uni filter,stock exhaust, and im running a 230 main jet with the needle on the 2nd position down from top,airscrew 1 1/2 turns out, and yes your carbs needle is adjustable too, if its the stock mikuni carb

sorry, my mods are in sig. stock pipe, after market silencer. K&N filter stock air box and lid (no holes) running yamalube 32:1

I am in phoenix az, 100+ degree weather and humid right now! elevation is 1,000 ft above sea level

As far as the main goes, I think you've established that it's too rich. Jet down one size at a time until the engine likes the amount of fuel you're feeding it.

For your high RPM idle/air screw problem, I would check your throttle free-play. Either by pulling the carb and visually checking it, or by listening as you repeatedly let off the throttle and turn the idle screw counter-clockwise...you should hear an obvious tap as the slide closes against the carburetor body. Once you're at this point, set the air screw 1.5 turns out from seated, and start the engine. The idle will probably be too low; adjust it. Ride the quad to get it up to normal operating temp. With the engine running, raise the idle about 10%, turn your air screw in & out slowly until you find the setting that achieves the highest RPM, then turn your idle back down to normal. Your carb should be set.

if its a stock carb the pilot is supposed to be a 32.5 and as mr 305 stated your pilot sounds to be to small turning the air screw in richens the pilot and you said it seems ok with the air screw in almost seated id bump the pilot one or varify that the pilot is deff a 32 if so get the stock 32.5 and try that and lower your main stock is 230 and your almost stock so youll probable end up at like a 240 or even back to the stock 230