Nerf Bar Nets for under $10.00

DirtDiggler

DUNEFREEK
Nov 24, 2009
Tacoma , Wa
Ok , so I'm doing the hillbilly Banshee Budget Build of the century and saving the green $$$$$ wherever and whenever I can . My shee came with nerf bars and the nets 1: Don't match my color scheme and 2: are beat to a pulp .
Solution ? BUY new nerf nets right? WRONG!!!!! these are so easy to make its not even funny . I have exactly $8.40 Invested , along with my valuable ( yet highly underrated ) Time . This will work for any nerfs , on whatever bike .
I went to the Fabric store ( Jo Anns ) armed with my debit card and a 40% off coupon and picked up 7 yards of black nylon 1" wide webbing ( same stuff the nerf nets are made of ) . I guess at 3.99 a gallon for gas maybe this DIY was more than the 8.40 cents but I already bought the gas for my silverado ( adding the lift kit and 35"s was genius ) as I need it to get around .
The pictures will tell the rest of the tale . The finished product will be in a couple days . The Fabric glue needs to cure and then I have to take the nets back to Jo Anns and have one of the old bitty's sew the crossings for me on a machine using heady duty nylon thread . I think that will run me a grand total of 3 bux as I have yet another coupon for 50% OFF all in house alterations I:I
645cba4e.jpg

Heres the Bare Frame , I have sprayed the aluminum frame black , It will get a couple more coats then clear coat . then the Nets will go back on.
bbad50e6.jpg

Heres the beginnings of laying out the new webbing , I cut the strips long enough to be adjustable , so they arent nut hugger tight , over time they will sag .
d60d93b2.jpg

Ahhhh good ol liquid stitch , Best part about this stuff is that it dries Clear , so the little bit of residue that squeezes out between the crossings , you never see it.
b65a8a9f.jpg

Heres the next step , lay out the crossings and connect them to the frame .
e537fd3e.jpg

Put a Dab of the liquid stitch on each crossing and lay the webbing over it , repeat for all 3 .
7d5e032c.jpg

And finally Clamp each crossing to ensure good contact . I had a bunch of clothespins in a toolbox for whatever reason , but they worked out great for it .
290fd339.jpg

after a day the liquid stitch will be cured and I can pull the nets out , have the crossings reinforced with heavy duty nylon stitching , I will also use a hot knife to melt the ends so they don't fray amd hot damn . Nerf Nets !!!!
I hope this has been helpful to someone who may be looking for a cheaper alternative to buying replacements .

Great write up and idea bro. This will save lots of people some money.Let us know how the liquid stitch holds up. My fat ass may break the stitch from pressure.lol Think I may have to try this but I will make the wife do some sewing on it. haha

have some green bro and i hope that liqquid stitch is waterproof what would happen if that hit water honestly to keep them in tact i would braide them along with that stitch i mean going up and under the nets on the way so it would be impossible for them to flop if the liquid stitch isnt waterproof

Thanks a lot for the feedback Bro's ! Yes the Liquid stitch is water proof , it's a rubber based adhesive . The Liquid stitch is really only for set up of the nets , it keeps the pattern together so it can be sewn . The actual nylon stitching that is done is where the permanent strength is at.

awesome write up!!!!!

I'm going to have to check into this. some black and blue ones could be pretty sweet....

I am going to try this today, thanks for the tutorial! Will liquid stitch alone be enough to hold it or is the extra sewing essential?

This is great idea, I had thought about cheep lashing straps, but this is even better. Never realized they could/would do that type of sewing there.

It takes a real man to go in a fabric store

great idea bro, if you want i can "bar tack" those at work for ya, if you want to send them to me. bar tacking is like sewing but 10x's stronger

You are going to take the webbing off to have the cross sections sewed together, but then how are you securing to the nerfs themselves?

Ok here's the final result .
1de673ea.jpg

And here's the detail of the stitching
85870f08.jpg

Once the clearcoat on my nerfs is dry , I'll put them back on .
It's important to also use a lighter to melt the ends of the strapping , otherwise it will unravel . That has also been done .