need some help on a 250r

bagds101

Jul 6, 2010
tucson az
my neighbor wanted me to look at his 250r atc to find out whats wrong with it. he had it bore and put a wiseco prolite piston in it and a aftermarket head. it has a 185 main jet (they come stock with 135) and when you hit the throttle it wants to bog and die. i took the carb completely apart and cleaned it real good and checked for leaks. no leaks. i called my local honda dealer and they said to drop the jets a size or two. anyone have any imput? he said the reeds are brand new and only have one ride on them.

depends where it's bogging,,,1/4, 1/2, 3/4+ throttle ????
will help us help you determine what jet range is causing the problem

is the plug new, is the fuel fresh, is it leakdown tested, spark good, plug wire/boot in good shape ????

awk as always thanks. he blew the top end and had it bore then replaced the piston and reeds. it hasnt ran right since he put it back together. and as soon as you hit the throttle from idle it will bog. i did a leakdown test using his tool but no compresson test or anything. and it has fresh fuel but im not sure how he mixed it.

ok... i dropped the jets 2 sizes, put in a new spark plug, took the reeds out and they were warped so i flipped them over. its still doing the same thing. let it idle and sprayed ether all around the head, jug, reeds, and intake and no change in idle so i dont think it has any airleaks.

Did he put the piston in the correct way? Windows towards the carb?

This is worth checking! Its very possible the piston is installed backwards, espeically if somebody inexperienced put the top end back together. Check and see. Also be sure that the carb cap is tightened down securely and that there's nothing stuck in the exhaust (mouse or dirt-dauber nest, etc).

really does sound like a jetting issue.....thats a huge main jet .....bet if he dropped the pilot down to 45 or 48 with a 152+ main it wont gag out, sounds way rich

my local honda dealer told me it came with 135 main stock and i didnt ask about the pilot cause my neighbor said he didnt change the pilot jet. but he ordered a complete top end gasket set for it thats suppose to come any day so as soon as it gets here i will tear the top end completely apart and check the piston installation and exhaust. and yes i did try it with the choke on. with the choke on, it just bogs out and wont even stay running. does anyone know what the idle mixture screw should be set at?