Need Performance

recruiter101st

Apr 24, 2011
Champaign, il
Alright here is where I am at with things. I have a 2003 Blaster with A Head mod from Ken O connor, Boyseen Reeds, Reed Spacer, 30MM Carb, 14T Sproket, FMF Fatty, FMF Powercore 2, Aluminum airbox with Uni and outerwears, I have a the DYI timing advance mod, but currently have it at Stock timing, I am currently trying to sell my quad but nobody is interested. I was looking at getting a Banshee, but now Since I am not able to sell the blaster im thinking more performance. Where do I go from here? What is the largest bore a stock cylinder can take? how much difference will going big help? How much does porting make a difference? Just asking what I can expect. I love my blaster...Just wanna go faster..Damn friends and there yfz450s lol.....I want some performace here....Thanks guys

Boreing to max on stock cyl will gain little performance. Porting will be your best bang for the buck. Also depends how much you want to spend, Stroker/big bore ?

My mechanical knowledge limits me at this point to just doing a top end rebuild. How big of piston can I fit into a bored out stock cylinder? And with these mods what kind of HP can I expect?

You don't want to put a 240 sleeve in a STOCK jug..I imagine the transferes would end up the size of coffee straws lol..you should get the cylinder ported... You could call Ken since he did your head... I personally deal with Chutzell on here. He's done my motors for 6 years now. He's always done me right, does great work and phenomenal results. You can look up my blasters up on YouTube under my con8quest6 name. Good luck

dont sell your fmf for a toomey. a pipe alone will wake up a stock quad, but it will not throw you on your ass. it doesnt matter what pipe it is. They are all good for different rpm ranges. I'd go with some porting, maybe a big bore/stroker/lightened flywheel and every bolt on performance part you can buy depending on your budget. in the end, a blaster will be a blaster. if your racing your friends through the woods, you should be able to keep up with them or beat them on their 450's, but if your planning on racing them on an mx track, you better have money or else you'll never get there

take the motor out of the frame and send it to a builder of your choice(ken is good and you have used him before). Have them dissasemble, check internals, trench cases, install +4 stroker crank, port the jug and set porting for the +4 crank. Once you have the motor back, upgrade the carb to at minimum 34mm. If you want a better exhaust then, an f7 or a dynoport will suit you best with porting.

porting is going to give you a kick, there are still alot of options for you, get some porting for a quick fix and a stroker! porting makes all the difference, you have the potential with the 30mm carb, fmf, reeds etc, you just gotta get your motor up to the level that it can use the power thats waiting!

Well I am going to keep it, Porting will happen in the next few weeks. I will also go ahead and have it bored and a new top end, probably due for one anyhow..How labor intensive is a stroker kit?

a +3 stroker will drop right in, the cylinder will need the porting adjusted for that, some run a spacer plate to compensate, but if your getting it ported just have it done for that
a +4 stroker will need the cases machined for it to fit, then same port adjustment for that 4mm crank
either will give you huge gains in hp, mid to high 30's
versus your low 20's you prolly have now

Also, when you have it bored, don't go .080 over(max) you won't see HP gains. Just go with the minimum bore size to get a fresh bore.

How much does it run to have Ken do a port and +3 crank? Just a trail port as I'm riding in trails mostly? And with a port do I need a bigger carb?

The stroker, porting, and 34mm carb will get you to around 35 hp. Damn good number, but if you feel you dont wanna do the stroker, you would still be hitting high, high 20;s and maybe 30. The stroker is gonna really give you that edge in keeping up with those 450's without dogging your machine.

let me be the first to tell u the +3 240 I have right now is ridiculous with the porting Ken did, I only sent him my 240 jug he ported a d set it up for the +3 I built, he modded the head did the porting and it is such a different machine than before, the 240 was sh*tty before the porting I noticed minimal gains but after the porting I am impressed with how it runs and I am jetted on the rich side. porting hands down is the best mod a blaster can have with an exhaust and a bigger carb, lightened flywheel makes it snappier and is worth the money, i say stroker and porting

As of right now here is what I have planned, Porting for sure! New top end. I am not so sure about the stroker..I am not sure I can actually do this myself..Never had a lowerend apart