Need help with carb

trinityblaster5

Nov 8, 2012
corning, ny
i have a 05 blaster with a trinity exhaust. i have the stock jetting in it. 230 main and 32.5 pilot ( i belive thats what it is). anyways it was running great even with the stock jetting. i have no airfilter but it still runs great. i have the lid on the airbox. but point is she ran fine until i noticed gas leaked from the overflow tube. still ran fine like that. i tore the carb apart and cleaned everything atleast 15 times. NOT EVEN JOKING. :( but now that i cleaned it and put it back on it runs like complete crap. it revs fine in neutral but when i punch the throttle when in gear no power is there at all and it spits and sputters and backfires thru the exhaust and dies. when i turn the petcock to the off position it runs good untill it runs out of as that was left inside the bowl. i believe the floats are sticking to the bowl because when i turn the carb upside down i cant hear them move at all........:-/ i need sugestions to fix this. like i said it ran fine before i cleaned the carb.

We all told you. You need at least a 290 main jet to start with or you will blow it up. Not it might, it will. Do a leakdown test, check your reeds, and flywheel key. Also check your spark plug

Firstly do not even dream of putting your foot on the kickstarter.

I fear that this motor could be dead from running with a very lean mixture caused by the #230 main jet.

The reason that it ever ran with such a breathing issue could have been that the carby was flooding just enough to mask the jetting problem and supply just enough gas to fool you into thinking it was running great.

A motor running on the leaner side will perform exceptionally well, but will run far to hot and cook the piston and rings.

What is your compression?

Have you ever leak tested it to see if it is airtight?

The float is obviously not floating, it is either damaged and full of fuel or it is fouling the float bowl, you must fix that problem before you proceed. No amount of cleaning will stop a carb flooding if the float is not working.

You must fit an airfilter, there are particles of dust in clean air, enough to do damage. Running without a filter can make jetting difficult.

Fit a #300 main jet, turn the airscrew 1 1/2 turns out.

Now you can rest your foot on the kicker.

Did you put the small washer behind the main jet when you put it back together? Is the TORS still hooked up? As mentioned in the 2 other posts, you are going to damage this thing running lean and with no filter.

I'm more than happy to help ya out, but running that motor without a filter and with stock jetting- is a slap in our face and waste of our time and resources! We are here to help out any way we can, yes even free parts sometimes, that's how we roll! But you must do the right thing- as we all are telling you! Doesn't matter if your blaster isn't all shiny and new it deserves to be taken care of!

Sorry if it sounds harsh, (that's the Dad in me), but most of us members really care about others and their machines

-Bob

/\ /\ /\ /\ Well said Bob, I have been biting my tongue trying to stop the Great Grandfather in me from spouting.

We are all here to help. But if we give advice and you ignore it than dont blame us. Most of the forums advice is good advice so listen to what were telling you. Ive been coming here for years and always get good advice when i ask.

Did you put the small washer behind the main jet when you put it back together? Is the TORS still hooked up? As mentioned in the 2 other posts, you are going to damage this thing running lean and with no filter.

the small washer isn't there. i dont think it was even there before when i took it apart

Without the washer you will never get the jetting right!

It will be all over the place like a crazy womans/mans crap.

A little backround on this issue- http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/really-need-help-guys-51573/index2.html#post649644

Trinityblaster5- Remove the carb from the quad (again), take the bowl off, remove the main jet and throw it as far away from you as you can, then get a small screw driver or pic and see if the washer is stuck in where the main jet goes in (as scot has said), if it's not there stop what your doing, go to the local yamaha atv shop get that washer part number 137-14153-00-00 and a 290 and 300 main jet for stock blaster carb, and an air filter- install the washer then the main jet, now check and make sure the float is adjusted properly, put the bowl back on carefully making sure the float moves freely, (by moving the carb upside down then right side up should hear it shaking or clicking) if not take the bown back off and try agian until the float moves freely. make sure you have the air screw at 1.5 turns out from fully in to start- Now install the carb back on the quad and put the air filter on. Fire it up, varing the rpms for about 5 minutes, adjust the idle to keep it running, now stab the throttle is it smooth going up and when it rpms come back down to idle? If yes get on it and go for a good rip, take a new plug with you a pair of gloves and plug wrench. Find a place where you can get into 5th or 6th gear with enough space to coast to a stop. Change plug get into 5th or 6th gear turn run switch to off at the same time pull in clutch but keep the throttle WIDE OPEN! Now put the old plug back in, head home, carefully cut the threads off down to the white porcelin insulator and post a picture of it, like blaaster posted in the other thread! it should be close to that picture if gray or white your dangerously lean, if black or dark brown your rich.

When you turn the air screw all the way in, just go til it stops turning easily. You don't have to crank down on it, you're just finding the starting point to unscrew it 1.5 turns out.

A little backround on this issue- http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/really-need-help-guys-51573/index2.html#post649644

Trinityblaster5- Remove the carb from the quad (again), take the bowl off, remove the main jet and throw it as far away from you as you can, then get a small screw driver or pic and see if the washer is stuck in where the main jet goes in (as scot has said), if it's not there stop what your doing, go to the local yamaha atv shop get that washer part number 137-14153-00-00 and a 290 and 300 main jet for stock blaster carb, and an air filter- install the washer then the main jet, now check and make sure the float is adjusted properly, put the bowl back on carefully making sure the float moves freely, (by moving the carb upside down then right side up should hear it shaking or clicking) if not take the bown back off and try agian until the float moves freely. make sure you have the air screw at 1.5 turns out from fully in to start- Now install the carb back on the quad and put the air filter on. Fire it up, varing the rpms for about 5 minutes, adjust the idle to keep it running, now stab the throttle is it smooth going up and when it rpms come back down to idle? If yes get on it and go for a good rip, take a new plug with you a pair of gloves and plug wrench. Find a place where you can get into 5th or 6th gear with enough space to coast to a stop. Change plug get into 5th or 6th gear turn run switch to off at the same time pull in clutch but keep the throttle WIDE OPEN! Now put the old plug back in, head home, carefully cut the threads off down to the white porcelin insulator and post a picture of it, like blaaster posted in the other thread! it should be close to that picture if gray or white your dangerously lean, if black or dark brown your rich.

^^^^^^^^^^I:I the next chance ill get i will run up to my local shop and get a few different size jets like a 290,300,310 ect...., a few spark plugs, an aair filter and ill go back to using yamalube 2r racing oil. ill keep everybody posted and hopefully i can get it running good again. oh and also ill get another needle and floats because the needle was slightly bend and the floats look like they are cracked but they dont leak so ill just get new one's. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP!!!!!!

How was the plug chop after you fitted the new main jet, it would be interesting know what size main jet fixed the problem.

^^^^^^^^^^I:I the next chance ill get i will run up to my local shop and get a few different size jets like a 290,300,310 ect...., a few spark plugs, an aair filter and ill go back to using yamalube 2r racing oil. ill keep everybody posted and hopefully i can get it running good again. oh and also ill get another needle and floats because the needle was slightly bend and the floats look like they are cracked but they dont leak so ill just get new one's. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP!!!!!!

well she's all fixed now. we put a new needle and seat in it and its back to normalI:I
THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!

Worry not Slick, he has been to the shop and bought a new needle and seat, while he was there I presume he got some jets and b8es plugs.

I am interested which main he now runs, so I can add it to my data bank of fixes.