Name that engine noise! Fun game!

Stephen2015

May 10, 2015

I'm going to pull off the exhaust and look inside the cylinder to check to make sure there's no cylinder damage and the rings aren't scraping, thanks for the idea Larry's Shee. I'll also be ordering a leakdown tester soon.

Possible bearing? Towards the end I point to where the most vibration is coming from.

Ideas? same experience? Please share opinions :) When I find and fix the noise, whoever was right I'll paypal them some quick cash :D 40 bucks.

Reactions: jus_me
No idea but for a 40 dollar guess I'm gonna throw out there that the oil pump injection delete was done improperly and the gear shered. Hopefully it's not the piston flopping around in there lol

No idea but for a 40 dollar guess I'm gonna throw out there that the oil pump injection delete was done improperly and the gear shered. Hopefully it's not the piston flopping around in there lol

That was my first thought, I pulled the cover off the oil injection and inspected it, seemed alright. However I didn't remove the clutch cover yet. I will soon. Just ordered a gasket for it.

Also note: the same vibration can be felt on the opposite side of the engine in the same location. It seems to correspond to the noise.

just to add to the fun:)
take your stock exhaust header pipe off and see if it rattles shaking back n forth
the baffle breaks off inside pipe/take the flywheel cover off and see if you can wiggle it around side to side,you dont need a gasket or oil or anthing to take flywheel cover off:)

Hmm,,, If was piston slap I would think it would have shattered by now. So im going to say a bearing. A trans bearing by where you pointed, hard to tell though. Or counterbalance bearing but that is more towards the other side. Certain noises and vibrations are hard to diagnose since the vibration/noise travels so well. Once you pull it apart it should show itself..

Start at the fly wheel, no gasket, no mess. Clean everything up good so you don't get dirt in anywhere. Pull flywheel cover and spark plug. Turn engine by hand both directions, trying to detect origin of sound. Wiggle flywheel up/dn, in/out, checking for any play. If nothing detected proceed.
With petcock off, flip on side (no oil draining), pull clutch cover. Roll engine with clutch (both ways) checking for sound. Check that nuts on all shafts are tight. Closely check gear and bearing for counterbalance shaft. That gear has three rubber cushions in it. If more than a hair movement back and forth, consider replacing.
If still nothing determined, pull both gears from crankshaft and rotate crank by Fwheel. That will determine whether it's engine/crank related or something in the driveline.

Alternative to clutch cover, pull the head and check things out first. With piston in middle of stroke see if you have excess play front/back with piston. Look at top of piston/gasket for signs of piston hitting gasket as mentioned.

Makes me think of a Grizzly I bought a stehascope for find errent noise. Other than few spots that were less noisy, most everywhere else was same. Lots of parts spining around in there.

Start at the fly wheel, no gasket, no mess. Clean everything up good so you don't get dirt in anywhere. Pull flywheel cover and spark plug. Turn engine by hand both directions, trying to detect origin of sound. Wiggle flywheel up/dn, in/out, checking for any play. If nothing detected proceed.
With petcock off, flip on side (no oil draining), pull clutch cover. Roll engine with clutch (both ways) checking for sound. Check that nuts on all shafts are tight. Closely check gear and bearing for counterbalance shaft. That gear has three rubber cushions in it. If more than a hair movement back and forth, consider replacing.
If still nothing determined, pull both gears from crankshaft and rotate crank by Fwheel. That will determine whether it's engine/crank related or something in the driveline.

Alternative to clutch cover, pull the head and check things out first. With piston in middle of stroke see if you have excess play front/back with piston. Look at top of piston/gasket for signs of piston hitting gasket as mentioned.

Makes me think of a Grizzly I bought a stehascope for find errent noise. Other than few spots that were less noisy, most everywhere else was same. Lots of parts spining around in there.
Great information, as soon as I have all the right tools in I'll proceed with finding the noise. I'll upload pics when I do find it.

Edit: if I do find out it's a rod bearing(which I suspect it is) can I replace the bearing from the outside or do I have to crack the case?

Last edited:
Update: pulled the clutch cover, checked torques checked for key all good besides the clutch was at 14 ft double what it should be. I am replacing the clutch now since I'm here. Also removed the gear from the deleted oil pump. I'm now stumped BECAUSE I found something between the clutch plates that I've never seen in my life..... What is this?[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attachments

• 1431569485838211318390.jpg
    1431569485838211318390.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
^^ That or clutch boss spring. They come equioed with them oem. I believe they are for an eisier clutch say "more forgiving" for a biginner rider. Some people do without and use an xtra plate/fiber or both ( i cant remember off the top of my head) some aftermarket heavy duty relacement clutch kits include the xtra plate/ fiber to do away with the spring.

Update: Noise isn't coming from under the clutch cover nor the flywheel. However with the covers off and turning the engine, it's evident it's coming from inside the cylinder or the crank. I may just buy an entire rebuild kit. Thoughts?

Having trouble adjusting the clutch, I understand how to do it, I'm just not sure my starting point. Clarification: where should I have the adjustment at the clutch lever to begin with? I've opened it up twice now, once it was too loose and wasn't engaging when gassing. Now it's too tight and not disengaging so kills when I enter gear. I've looked for good clear threads and videos and I can't find any in depth about the adjustment. Only the one on the basket.

In comparison to my CBR, this clutch is a pain.