My Goal...

going to be checking out an 2000 s10 this sunday. its listed for $3000 has 154k miles, no rust, body in perfect condition, frame and suspension all good, 4 wheel drive, 4 brand new tires, original owner, and auto tranny.

if that one does not seem up to par, then there is another one same deal except 175k miles. mostly highway, auto, only 1 dent, good frame, suspension, and for $3500 extended cab but not 4 door.

Hey man they are a bit older but if you don't mind it look at Jeep Comanches. If you can find one with the 4.0 and 4x4 you'll be set for life. The 4.0I6 is a bullet proof motor gobs of torque.
I'm a Chevy guy born and raised but if I was getting a small truck I wouldn't get an s10. That's just me though.

I can't buy old. My family dosent know anything about cars, so they judge them on 3 things. Year, milage, and look overall. My mom is SO thick headed. It took me all day to convince her that even tho both trucks have 150k + miles that their still good and realible. Also because our last cars motor died on us at 150k miles.

Really having not seen either yet, the only thing that bothers me is the milage. But if both run good, no shake/ weird noises etc, I'm probs going to be buying the first one I listed.

To me mileage means nothing.

The motor in vehicle driven on long trips with few starts and stops, can be in better condition than a vehicle driven on short trips with many stops and starts from cold.

80% of engine wear is caused in the starting/warming up process.

The motor in vehicle driven on long trips with few starts and stops, can be in better condition than a vehicle driven on short trips with many stops and starts from cold.

True but milage is also relegated to suspension and frame wear and tear and other things such as that. Not just engine.

True but milage is also relegated to suspension and frame wear and tear and other things such as that. Not just engine.

300k on my dads ranger, replaced tranny once, and clutch. Needs a new slave cylinder for the clutch and thats all we have ever done to it (besides normal stuff like tires and brakes.)

Only frame part ever went bad was at about 290k i think, he hit a piece of steel in the rode at night, tore something underneath but have been driven a few k miles since then.

I can't buy old. My family dosent know anything about cars, so they judge them on 3 things. Year, milage, and look overall. My mom is SO thick headed. It took me all day to convince her that even tho both trucks have 150k + miles that their still good and realible. Also because our last cars motor died on us at 150k miles.

Really having not seen either yet, the only thing that bothers me is the milage. But if both run good, no shake/ weird noises etc, I'm probs going to be buying the first one I listed.

my dad has 360,000 on my dads 1997 gmc 1500 original motor 3 trannys put in it and I think 2 rearends (because who we had do the rearends put way too stiff springs in it and made all sorts of popping when you would turn) and we replaced the original starter at 350000 and it doesent blue smoke at all so mileage doesent mean a lot if it has been taken care of

it has some rust on the frame but imo it has the best motor chevy put in a s10

ya, but theres 2 problems with it that have me on the deal breakers side.

1) it has a shhhh shhh shhh noise as it coasts

2) there is oil on the bottom of the tranny...

the shhh shhh noise i think is caused by the rear left caliper not expanding all the way. the rear brake lines are badly pinched and NEED to be replaced. so it may be that the caliper just cant expand all the way. or it could be the drive shaft. the oil on the bottom of the tranny is unknown. i have no idea what its there other then it could be a leaky gasket. but idk.

Oil on the tranny can come from 3 places, gaskets, engine main bearing oil seal or the most common, the rear gearbox seal where the drive shaft enters.

Oil on the tranny can come from 3 places, gaskets, engine mathinking ng oil seal or the most. ommon, the rear gearbox seal wheretranfer drive shaft enters.

It wasent engine oil. It was too dirty. The engine oil was brand new and clean. im thinking drive shaft or a gasket. I cat tell of it was the tranny or transfer case.

Oil on the tranny can come from 3 places, gaskets, engine main bearing oil seal or the most common, the rear gearbox seal where the drive shaft enters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaster View Post
Oil on the tranny can come from 3 places, gaskets, engine mathinking ng oil seal or the most. ommon, the rear gearbox seal wheretranfer drive shaft enters.

How on earth did my quote get messed up like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaster View Post

How on earth did my quote get messed up like this?

lol sorry. when i type on my phone, the cursor just decides to place its self anywhere it wants.....

anyway, im going to pass on this s10. ill just keep looking. between oil on the bottom of the tranny and it not going into 4wd low, it tells me that the tranny is messed up