My first ATV ever... How does it look and what exactly do I have?

YamahaBlaster2k

Oct 23, 2012
Here is my 2000 Yamaha Blaster! How does it look and if possible, can anyone tell me what mods there are?

Supposedly it has a race carb and has been bored out to a 240cc, but idk how one can tell...

Also, how can I clean up the engine and make it look not as dirty? Thanks!

11sf0qp.jpg

fkwefo.jpg

14c8qiw.jpg

I:I

I doubt it's a 240. doesn't appear to be an aftermarket jug. only other way it could be a 240 is to have had it resleaved with a 240 sleeve. but that's doubtful. only real way to tell is to pull the topend and measure it. and while it's off paint it, or bead blast the paint off. i would just leave it as is. do a leakdown test on it to make sure it has no airleaks and if it was mine i would get rid of the boostbottle

ditch the boost bottle, if you want to clean it up you ca use engine shampoo but be careful where and what you put that stuff on including yourself depending on the brand. The AcDelco stuff I have is killer

the boost bottle is the thing attached to the intake that is strapped up on the left side of your quad. you can research them to find out what they do but they dont' really do anything for these blaster motors. if you remove it you have to seal up the hole in the intake boot. and i mean seal it. no air can get through it and it will be under slight vaccume

My thoughts are as follow,

either it sat for awhile or is outside allot, the rust on the nuts, is a flag to me, that you may be over due for some new crank seals.

I certainly, as mentioned in the other video post of yours, check the compression on it.

Myself, if it was me, Id tear it down, rebuild the top end and new crank seals and paint and spruce it up. dont know if you can afford to. but thats what I would do. then I know what I got and catch it before anything major happens.

Sporty

Was told the rust on the nuts are from the salt sprayed on the roads here in New York when it snows hard. Idk the validity of that statement but I now keep it in a garage.

How would I go about rebuilding it? But a topend rebuild kit? The problem is that I don't know what I'm doing lol. I've never taken a motor apart before; not sure what I'd be looking at.

I have to learn though.

goto youtube,enter what u want to know,watch n learn then watch again,everything you need to know is here or somewhere,google is your friend.
There are many turorials on blaster engine building on youtube.And more,most of the google searches you will do will lead you back here lol.Easier than useing the search function i thinks hehe.
But from my experience,work it ,rebuild,give her the maintenance she needs and have a baseline so when things go wrong u know what is what

The motor may well be ok, a couple of things you can do to see if you need to rebuild.

Leak down test to see if it is air tight.

Compression test, if it is around 125 psi, ride it for while.

A lot of great advice given already. The best thing to do is read all the sticky threads at the top of each section. They have loads of great info.