SOS got my first blaster and still can't get it running

Mk_tommy

Jun 17, 2017
New Jersey
Hello guys, this my first post on the forum. i have had my 2001 blaster for a couple months now and it is just one thing after another. when i got it, it would run first kick but have no power. barely even revved. dude gave me a bunch of new parts and extra wheels for $400. it was a good deal and i wanted to start to learn 2 strokes. so i started to diagnose my issue and noticed the piston was in backwards. whole top end was shot. replaced the whole top end with wiseco parts and quality gaskets. ran AMAZING first kick. road it around the block to warm it up till operating temperature but when i got back in my driveway the throttle got stuck and just would not shut off. kill switch did nothing. even pulled the spark plug cap and still ran. so after i pulled the card off it stopped. now it has not ran since. compression is still 135psi+ cold but now no spark at all. so i just want to replace all the little things wrong with this thing.

1. what stator and ignition combo do you recommend.

2. how much oil does this call for on the lower end and how much do i put in.

3. how much trans fluid does it take and what should i use.

4. on the right side of the motor there seems to be a little pipe sticking out pointing forward, should that have a cover on it. it looks like it should.

5. has anyone ran a dual brake levers?

6. since i am new to 2 strokes is there routine maintenance i need to do?

7. my stator cover gasket is ripped badly how can i get new one.

8. stator cover and other engine bolts are toast or just not there. can i replace them with some nice allen head bolts?

mods on the blaster are as follows-
-fmf fatty with fmf turbo core 2
-boysen power reeds
-k&n air filter
-nerf bars
-twist throttle
-oil injection delete
-tors delete

it holds 650ml of tranny/gear oil which is 21.9791 ounces
the 2 stroke oil lubes the top end piston crank ect
sounds like you are pre-mixing? you should be pre-mixing at 32:1
which is 4 oz oil per gallon of gas:)
the little pipe sticking out is probably the crank- case breather tube or the oil injection hose?
use the stock oem stator not 30 dollar gimmicks on e-bay
sounds like you have a air leak plus many other issues look through these first bud:D
free manual service one.
http://www.blasterforum.com/attachments/yamaha_blaster_yfs200_service_manual-pdf.12463/
air leak's
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/#post-763164

never mind i just saw your other post about pipe sticking out.
THAT PIPE sticking out is for the water cooled yamaha dt 200 engine!
someone has been wrenching on that machine.
also see 03-06 key switch on your 01 lol:)
mk tommy.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
the throttle got stuck and just would not shut off. kill switch did nothing. even pulled the spark plug cap and still ran

what jetting is in the carb for the FMF pipe ?
needle on middle clip ?
should be 290/300-ish, possibly up to 310/320 for winter temps

what jetting is in the carb for the FMF pipe ?
needle on middle clip ?
should be 290/300-ish, possibly up to 310/320 for winter temps
I am running a 280 right now, though that would be to big to be honest. Will scoop up some bigger ones off of jetsrus.com soon

Got spark good blue high voltage spark? No, well do a stator to cool signal test . Got stator signal? No check kill switch by unplugging kill switch also look for loose or unplugged wiring detail. It could be a bad cdi unit/ or coil. Start with kill switch first

Last edited:
Got spark good blue high voltage spark? No, well do a stator to coil signal test . Got stator signal? No check kill switch by unplugging kill switch also look for loose or unplugged wiring detail. It could be a bad cdi unit/ or coil or stator Start with kill switch first!