My custom fab swing arm, airbox and skide plate!

1quickblast

Mar 26, 2011
North carolina
Okay guys I have been meaning to post some pics up of parts I have made on my free time at work. I do machine and weld and about anyother type of metal fab work at my job. Now I'm working on adding 2'' to my a arms!

my aluminum airbox in the works, got to get motor back on frame to do the rest of the intake part.

5270-airbox-frame-fit-up.jpg

5271-airbox-frame.jpg

5267-my-aluminum-airbox-i-made-works-got-get-motor-back-frame-before-i-can-do-pipe-intake-part.jpg

5268-airbox-lide-off.jpg

my plus 4 arm!
5266-my-pluse-4-swing-arm-i-made.jpg

5265-a.jpg

5264-a.jpg

my aluminum skide plate!
5269-aluminum-skide-plate-i-made.jpg
[/IMG]

looks pretty good, the swinger looks like it might be a little weak depending on the thickness of the tube

I'm curious what material and method you used to fab the swingarm as well.

You haven't finished the airbox either have you? Where the tube to connect the airbox to the carburetor.

The fab work looks really good!

Make sure you take really good photos of the a-arm extension work. Everyone loves build pics!

looks pretty good, the swinger looks like it might be a little weak depending on the thickness of the tube

No it's not week at all, go look at other ones not much differance. I have road hard with this arm and it has been off some big jumps! I did my reserch on how people was making them for atv's before I ever made it. I have been building custom arms for street bikes for around 5 years now.

This arm is carbon steel the same as factor, the rectangular tubing is 3/16 wall and the round pipe is schedule 40. Then was Tig togther with 3/16 SS wire the pureist stainless steel wire and strongest wire to weld carbon steel with, it makes a stonger weld than using mild steel wire on carbon or black steel the samething. Rectangular tubing at that lenth is very stong! The hub and shock brackets are made from 1/4'' plate that I cut on the laser and the heat from the laser hardens the metel.
The pics you see now are new pics! I road with the arm for a few months then took it off to have it recoated, there was'nt any cracks!

Last edited:
So thick wall mild with stainless filler rod.

I ordered chromoly tubing 1" X 2" X .083" to make one for myself. I'll be getting to it after I get back from busco next weekend.

good stuff bro, nice fab work and sounds like you know your metal and welds to me
just one ??? does the seat fit on with the box sticking up that high ????

I'm curious what material and method you used to fab the swingarm as well.

You haven't finished the airbox either have you? Where the tube to connect the airbox to the carburetor.

The fab work looks really good!

Make sure you take really good photos of the a-arm extension work. Everyone loves build pics!

Thanks! No I haven't finished the air box connects to the carburetor, I'm building the motor right now so I don't have the carburetor in place to rout the tube for fit up.

Yes when welding thick wall mild steel stainless steel filler wire makes for a stonger weld. As for chromoly yes you can weld it with stainless wire!

Last edited:
I will make sure I get pics of the arms as I'm doing them! As far making parts and selling them I have been thinking about it but not sure yet. I don't get much free time at work to build things for my self, I may when I get my blaster done.

sounds like you made the swinger out of good stuff, sometimes people will use really thin wall mild steel that has no business being there

and the fab skills are phenomenal, i wish i had access/ability to TIG. i'm probably not even much with a MIG anymore for lack of practice

I like your nice and big airbox, make shore there is clearance for the shock and its travel... When my shock was not adjusted right and it would bottom out on jumps and stuff, and my chain was very loose, my custom air box was getting slapped by my loose chain....

100_3448.jpg

Thanks Guys! I have work in all most all areas of metel fab shops, mills, laths, rollers shers, breaks and welding TIG and MIG. Making cool things for your self is just perks of the job. I have been making cool things for my car and street bike figured why not for my Blaster.

I like your nice and big airbox, make shore there is clearance for the shock and its travel... When my shock was not adjusted right and it would bottom out on jumps and stuff, and my chain was very loose, my custom air box was getting slapped by my loose chain....

100_3448.jpg

Your airbox looks real good! I tried to keep the size in most ways close to factory and I got 400ex shock going on to, maybe that will help.