My 240 with stroker build

I am running a mikuni vm 34 carb moose intake boot vforce4 reeds cfm air box. I am also running a vitos fat bastard pipe with my 240bbk . I had a lot of issues with reed chipping, using the stock reed cage. The peddles were slamming into the intake tract walls. Another issue i had with an aftermarket exhaust was excessive back pressure. The piston would get hot and leave a dark spot about 4mm under the ring lands.....not blowby. I was using an alien exhaust, there was so much back pressure it blew the pipe right open!. I run 330 main with a 60 pilot and needle at second from bottom, I use my blaster specifically for ice racing. [GALLERY=][/GALLERY
20140118_164625.jpg
20140122_174848.jpg
Here are some pics for reference. I guess what I want to say is that it may take some experimenting to get the right intake exhaust combination. What i will say for sure is.....with a 240 kit most performance pipe for a 200cc dont have an adequate dwell section to accommodate the increased displacement. Hope this helps.......the fat bastard pipe was designed for the 240 bbk.]

Reactions: 79 bronco
WOW! I have never seen an expansion chamber blow apart like that. That has me thinking.. I know of many 240's and high performance 240's that have never blown apart an expansion chamber... Are you using the same silencer for the same expansion chamber and by chance do you know if the stingers on both are of the same diameter and length?

Funny how the Vito's looks almost exactly like the Dmc only the Dmc is on a diet and the Vito's is a fat Bastard, lol..

Reactions: Herpderplol
I am running a mikuni vm 34 carb moose intake boot vforce4 reeds cfm air box. I am also running a vitos fat bastard pipe with my 240bbk . I had a lot of issues with reed chipping, using the stock reed cage. The peddles were slamming into the intake tract walls. Another issue i had with an aftermarket exhaust was excessive back pressure. The piston would get hot and leave a dark spot about 4mm under the ring lands.....not blowby. I was using an alien exhaust, there was so much back pressure it blew the pipe right open!. I run 330 main with a 60 pilot and needle at second from bottom, I use my blaster specifically for ice racing. [GALLERY=][/GALLERYView attachment 22101 View attachment 22102 Here are some pics for reference. I guess what I want to say is that it may take some experimenting to get the right intake exhaust combination. What i will say for sure is.....with a 240 kit most performance pipe for a 200cc dont have an adequate dwell section to accommodate the increased displacement. Hope this helps.......the fat bastard pipe was designed for the 240 bbk.]
WOW! I have never seen an expansion chamber blow apart like that. That has me thinking.. I know of many 240's and high performance 240's that have never blown apart an expansion chamber... Are you using the same silencer for the same expansion chamber and by chance do you know if the stingers on both are of the same diameter and length?
Funny how the Vito's looks almost exactly like the Dmc only the Dmc is on a diet and the Vito's is a fat Bastard, lol..

There is a huge difference in the overall dimensions of the pipe. The stinger section is larger. The funny part is, is that it actually ran better when it split open lol!

I'm hoping to get more time to work on it soon. I got the silencer straightened out today and have new orings packing and exhaust gasket on the way. Also need to mount the airbox better before starting my heat cycles then break in.

Reactions: MDT50
I have 2 Vitos cyls in front of my right now and by the looks of it the stock reed cage just barely misses from touching the intake divider. On another one I have I can see where some type of intake/reed cage was actually rubbing against the intake window divider. >? Why? I have no idea. If the V force reed cage is longer than stock I don't know.

Have you tried using a reed spacer? And I know this is a stupid question but is there any obstruction in the Dmc that would stop the exhaust from flowing freely? Broken reed in there somewhere, a rag, critter nest?

I also take it your weren't using the reed stops? I don't either but just asking.. Another dumb question but are you sure they it is a stock reed cage and not a cr125? For my cr125 reed cage I need a spacer otherwise the reed cage slams into the intake windows as described.. The cr will have 6 pedals 3 on top and 3 on bottom.

I have 2 Vitos cyls in front of my right now and by the looks of it the stock reed cage just barely misses from touching the intake divider. On another one I have I can see where some type of intake/reed cage was actually rubbing against the intake window divider. >? Why? I have no idea. If the V force reed cage is longer than stock I don't know.

Have you tried using a reed spacer? And I know this is a stupid question but is there any obstruction in the Dmc that would stop the exhaust from flowing freely? Broken reed in there somewhere, a rag, critter nest?

I also take it your weren't using the reed stops? I don't either but just asking.. Another dumb question but are you sure they it is a stock reed cage and not a cr125? For my cr125 reed cage I need a spacer otherwise the reed cage slams into the intake windows as described.. The cr will have 6 pedals 3 on top and 3 on bottom.
Lol! None of your questions are stupid. My reed dilemma had me pulling my hair out for sure! It would be ok for a while then i would get the imfamous rich condition caused by chipped reeds. Anyway to answer your question i was using 2 stage reeds (stock cage)and they would open so far that the primary stage would flap up against the upper and lower wall (the ceiling and floor) of the intake tract/bore/reed bore. I used a reed spacer and switched to super stock reeds and installed the reed stops.....problem went away. The only thing that bothered me was is that my peak powered suffered. Reed spacers do that, did not work well with my pipe. The other thing that got me wondering is that my 34mm carb doesn't have a reducer since i have a larger boot. Do some carb kits come with reducers? Got me wondering if the reed set up couldnt handle the extra volume of air incoming. I switched to vforce4 reeds and now i have my cake and can eat it too! The first set of 2 stage reeds i used broke off and got gobbled up and spit out lol! Ive had wierd stupid problems with my blaster 240bbk but it does rip and it has been, mechanically, very reliable. Once I figured out my reed issue i was actually able to dial in my jets properly. There was no restrictions in the dmc pipe the dimensions are alot smaller than the vitos pipe. The back pressure actually started to turn the piston skirt brown excessively. Since then i got rid of the 3 degree key to get more top end out of it.....this i believe will compliment the bigger pipe. Plus it will help it run cooler at higher rpms. The pipe issue was strange but does run better with the fat bastard.......im thinking that was alot of back pressure to pop that pipe that way.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get more time to work on it soon. I got the silencer straightened out today and have new orings packing and exhaust gasket on the way. Also need to mount the airbox better before starting my heat cycles then break in.
Are you using a fat bastard pipe?

I am running a mikuni vm 34 carb moose intake boot vforce4 reeds cfm air box. I am also running a vitos fat bastard pipe with my 240bbk . I had a lot of issues with reed chipping, using the stock reed cage. The peddles were slamming into the intake tract walls. Another issue i had with an aftermarket exhaust was excessive back pressure. The piston would get hot and leave a dark spot about 4mm under the ring lands.....not blowby. I was using an alien exhaust, there was so much back pressure it blew the pipe right open!. I run 330 main with a 60 pilot and needle at second from bottom, I use my blaster specifically for ice racing. [GALLERY=][/GALLERYView attachment 22101 View attachment 22102 Here are some pics for reference. I guess what I want to say is that it may take some experimenting to get the right intake exhaust combination. What i will say for sure is.....with a 240 kit most performance pipe for a 200cc dont have an adequate dwell section to accommodate the increased displacement. Hope this helps.......the fat bastard pipe was designed for the 240 bbk.]

Great pic of the pips, that is a very good pics for compering the pips! :)

Reactions: jus_me
funny that DMC failed right where they stamped the DMC into it
I noticed a little bit of carbon ooozing out just before it popped.......pipes are too tight for big bore applications. Although I think ur onto something with the stamping concern.