Motor rebuild ,some questions

Feb 28, 2011
Hey all , i just bought a blaster that needed a topend a piston rebuild,but the cases didnt have gaskets and where sealed with silicone(some idiot did this).So im gonna get the topend rebuild and was wondering what are you r opinions on this piston.
1988-2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster NAMURA .060 OVER 67.50mm PISTON 6121P6 | eBay

I also need some help with gaskets.Please help me out on what gasket set i need to buy since im gonna take the bottom end apart and top end and do it the right way.Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
the case halves do not use gaskets, they are a machined fit with a very light coat of yamabond for sealer

be sure to get a topend gasket kit with the black base gasket, no blue or green paper base gaskets (k&s brand) they suck, literally...suck into the cylinder causing air leaks

heres the top end kit i just got for my buddies top end we'll be re-assembling tomorrow...........

YAMAHA BLASTER 1988-2006 TOP END GASKET KIT SET YFS200 YFS 200 | eBay

heres a complete bottom end seal kit............

Yamaha Blaster, 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 Engine, Crank, Crankshaft Oil Seal Kit | eBay

you do know you need about $150 worth of specialty tools to split them cases ???
flywheel puller
clutch/flywheel holding tool
2/3 jaw case splitter
tusk crank puller

and one of these should be in every 2 stroke owners toolbox !!!!!....

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-parts-151/leak-down-tester-43284/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill have the tools to get it done, so there are no gaskets between the cases and the clutch cover? So with the above 3 items ill be able to have everything i need to get this rebuld done?Thanks

theres no gasket between the cases just yamabond. You can get a gasket for the clutch cover which is nice but you could also use the sealer if you want works fine.

just buy the clutch cover gasket,
do not use the yamabond, or any other sealeant on anything
besides on the the case halves

i only other place i'd suggest any sealant is a light coat of hi-temp copper permagasket on the intake gaskets

Ok guys I'm stuck ,when I bought the engine ,the transmision was hard to shift ,I took it apart and everything seems to be ok ,but this is my first blaster rebuild so idk maybe somethings messed up ,so I put the motor back together and almost done assembling it all when i noticed that it won't shift and if it did it was really hard and not right ,I got a pic of how it gets stuck ,I followed the manual and assembled it accordingly ,what are the possibilities of something being messed up ? Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMAG0726.jpg
    IMAG0726.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 100
are you turning the clutch basket while trying to shift thru the gears ???
chances of it shifting while not rotating are pretty slim

Pull the shift shaft and check fir straight. Claw mech tite, not worn? If you had it apart did you inspect shift forks? Did you put any oil on trans assembly while putting it to gether? Could just be dry.

i pulled one back apart 6 times looking for troubles, when it wouldn't shift past 3rd,
i found nothing,
it had no oil in it, and i was not spinning the clutch
i finally gave up and said..."oh well, it's now a 3 speed" LOL
it worked fine after adding oil and getting it running