Mikuni carbs, any good?

kbbrown123

Mar 17, 2009
Henry County GA
Got a blasty im rebuilding, the engine i have has the carb attached to it but the cap is attached to the throttle cable and not to the carb, im not entirely sure what may be missing... From what i've noticed it seems the tors unit is no longer there, im not sure if its an aftermarket carb or not. I'll look more into that later, but as far as just buying a replacement, a Mikuni 30mm for $80 sounds kinda cheap for a carb but are they worth a damn, im not sure of any other mods to the engine right now. Just tryna learn a few things thanks guys

One other thing, what exactly is a jet kit/what does it do and whats a good one to buy?

Did you jet the carb at all? Im not even really sure what jetting a carb means or what it does? Any info on that would be great. I didnt think a carb would be so cheap i was expectin a couple hundred..thanks man

If you change the bore size of a carb you should rejet the main jet. Mikuni carbs are really reliable good carbs, they come standard on many quads bikes and things. To rejet after you change something you should follow this http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html. You can buy jets online the stock size mikuni hex is 230, you can put that in a new carb and do the plug check. If it has some brown on the plug you wont blow it up at least.

If i bought a new 30mm carb, what size jet will come in it? And what size should i replace it with? Im not even sure if the carb im lookin at is worht sh*t, its only like $85 or so where others are like $150+

The Mikuni's are good carbs but the seem to jet them for god knows what right out of the box, guys will tell you they can't be jetted and that's BULLSHIT!!!, it takes some tinkering to get them right!