LT230 smoking like crazy.. Piston rings or something else?

you chose the wrong code but here yah go lol :) i forgot some oh well.

x1 1.jpg
x 1.jpg
x2 1.jpg
x4 1.jpg
lt2301.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: boughtmeablastr
nope,first you need to measure the bore of cylinder or ring end gap,second you need to buy the same rings as the piston is...they are all different. If it is a namura piston then yeah namura rings ...get ito_O

nope,first you need to measure the bore of cylinder or ring end gap,second you need to buy the same rings as the piston is...they are all different. If it is a namura piston then yeah namura rings ...get ito_O
Yeah gotcha. so if i measure and its 66mm than any brand of 66mm will work or are they brand specific regardless of size? In other words, do i have to know the brand of the piston?

www.rockymountainatv.com
www.motosports.com

enter year make model for oem parts and or other top ends

e-bay can be a gamble cuz alot of people on there dont know what there doing.

If it is made for your lt230 and is the size you measured then yes.I would research how to measure or have a shop
measure it for you,if it is not consistent throughout the cylinder it is just going to eat up your new topend,rings,ect

the link to rings you posted says this below if you scroll down and read it.If your going to do rings just do the whole top end.Yes it cost more but it will be worth it ,regardless if you sell it or ride it :)
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...cessories&hash=item5d3b35bcdc&vxp=mtr
Namura piston rings standard bore for a 85-88 lt230s, 88-02 lt250f. These are for namura pistons only not OEM. Check my other items. Can't find what you are looking for? Just type in what you need in the search box above and click search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: boughtmeablastr
Ahh good catch! Thanks! i was actually just trying to get a picture to make sure of what he was talking about. I think i may have another issue... If you look on the last picture that you linked the code to, the one of the piston, on top on the left side where it meets the exhaust valve that part looks beat down. i have a better picture if you cant tell what I'm talking about im assuming that means new piston and possibly a new valve or whatever caused that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: speedyslyder
the piston met the valve. you should get a new piston and pull the valves. i bet one is bent.

Little late now, but a compression test should have been done. Then a cylinder leakdown. If leakdown doesn't hold you pour little oil in cyl. If it gets better bad rings, if not, bad valves or head gasket. Valve hit could be from way out of adjustment valve or it jumped time.

Really need to decide how much you want to spend on this.

Need to have piston and bore measured. If it's within specs, you can get away with hone and rings.
Head should have valves and seats ground/lapped, new seals. Deffinately replace valve that kissed piston.
Need to find wear specs for cam chain. Usually given in length of like ten pins. Or if you can bend it sideways a good amount, replace.

If a valve has done damage to a piston outside of the valve recess clearance, then it poor design, the wrong piston or an incorrect head has been fitted.

Valve recesses are cut into pistons to avoid this happening.

On second thoughts if the valve had been slammed into the recess due to an over rev causing valve bounce, the valve could have been bent out of position causing it to foul the head..,,,,, but I see no evidence that it did indeed enter the recess and suffer damage.

image.jpg

Last edited: