LRD jet kits

there is a method for determining what pilot is needed.
start at 1.5 turns out on the airscrew, do 1/2 turns both directions, waiting roughly 20 seconds between turns to allow the engine to "catch up" to the new fuel setting, until the engine idles the highest,
that will be the proper air/fuel ratio for the pilot jet/airscrew circut.
the number of turns out from bottom will determine the correct pilot jet size.
under 1/2 turn for high idle = leaner pilot
over 2-1/2 turns out = richer pilot
if the airscrew isn't regulating the idle with any amount of turns, you're way off, and need to jump up or down a few sizes until the airscrew settings get results

on the stock blaster carb, the 32.5 is going to be it in all but the highest modded BBK's, and that should be running a larger carb anyway

the only reason the pilot jet should be changed is if the airscrew high idle cannot be acheived between 1/2 and
2-1/2 turns out,
if that is the case on a stock blaster/carb.
your carb needs cleaned (pilot/airscrew passages) or you have an airleak
Thanks fro the added info. You inspired me on this whole LRD kits.

It's something to try out and I think Arlen, gave good info on why run a #30 compared to the stock.
We have real high humidity here during the summer, over 80% every day and sometimes weeks over over 90% humidity.

Sporty

pick one of your highest humidity days and give the airscrew settings/high idle method a try.
i'm betting no matter what humidity, you'll find high idle between 1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out, with the stock 32.5 pilot

2 turns total is quite alot of air adjustment for one pilot, and can be done daily, or even during the ride, to compensate for temps, humidity and elevation changes.

Oh, I bet your right.

I would think the needle, thats different than stock plays into some of this too.

Hard to say, they sold allot of those kits and the article gave it real good kodos. I figured, its worth trying out.

AW08, you tried that jet kit before ? or no someone that has ? what they thought woudl be nice too.

Sporty

AW08, you tried that jet kit before ? or no someone that has ? what they thought woudl be nice too.

Sporty

nope, never tried any "jet kits"
like i said above, they're a waste on money.
i do single main jets only, my airscrew is at 1.5 turns out for high idle, that tells me the stock 32.5 pilot is spot on.
and it'll pull the front end up into 3rd gear in the mids, so i'm satisfied with my stock needle on the middle clip too.
this is on my non ported, piped & filtered,
black blaster with a +4 swinger

Last edited:
I said I tried the set up with the 290 and 30 pilot with stock needle, it wasn't the Lrd though. I have been having troubles with my air idle screw n all so that info on it will be a great starting point once I get it back together. I now have the tors Eliminator n idle screw kit installed hoping that will help with the problem

I said I tried the set up with the 290 and 30 pilot with stock needle, it wasn't the Lrd though. I have been having troubles with my air idle screw n all so that info on it will be a great starting point once I get it back together. I now have the tors Eliminator n idle screw kit installed hoping that will help with the problem
Ya sorry If It appeared I left out what you mentioned. Mostly cuz you didnt use the lrd needle.

So sorry about that.

Sporty