Lottttts of smoke

Jre720

Dec 26, 2016
so the 01 blaster my stepdad picked up dumps smoke bad..it is mixing gas and oil not using the oil pump...I drained the gas and put a fresh 32/1 mix and it was smoking a lot less as soon as the bike warmed up it was smoking like crazy and spitting out all the unburned oil from the pipe from before does the exhaust desperately need a repack or could it be the exhaust ring on the piston or something else?

Repack will be needed. When I brought my CR125 it was doing the same thing and the muffler packing was soaked. Because the crank seal on the clutch side had popped out and was dumping trans oil into the bottom end. And you are best to remove the exhaust and clean it out to make sure all oil removed. and fix the problem before you ride again with new packing.

No oil leaking out of front of the exhaust just spitting out of the rear end smoking like crazy going to get a re pack and hope that does the job

I also u fortunately have to do a clutch on this too :( sucks but hey that's how the game goes sometimes..have the crank seals orderd for the 98 went with oem Yamaha ones other then that the 98 is pretty mint:) and as for me my area is expecting 5-12 inches of snow over night so I will be having a blast tomorow for sure

I also u fortunately have to do a clutch on this too :( sucks but hey that's how the game goes sometimes..have the crank seals orderd for the 98 went with oem Yamaha ones other then that the 98 is pretty mint:) and as for me my area is expecting 5-12 inches of snow over night so I will be having a blast tomorow for sure
Do not tempt providence, if the crank seal is leaking oil into the crankcase air will also be getting in there too.

It is not good to ride a bike with a leaky seal the air fuel mixture could be leaned out just enough to fry the top end.

I'm on board with the leaking crankseal.
Check your trans fluid, I bet it's low and possibly why you need a clutch.
Just replacing the seal without leakdowm testing it isn't a good idea as the collar the seal sits against has been know to leak around the crank. It will need tested again after the fix to insure it worked.

Look for threads on.....
" how to build use a leakdown tester " ,(or I have them in the for sale section).
And also... "how to fix a leaking crank collar"

Reactions: Mrdieselman
Leak test.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leak-down-test-video.57629/

About air leaks.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/

Leak tester. BUY or Make.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leakdown-testers.55015/

Crank collar.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/crank-collar-seal-vid.50433/

Service manual if you don't already have it as you will need it.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/

I made my own leak tester.
DSCN4126_zpscltd3m16.jpg

I already drained the trans and it wasn't really to low ..so your thinking it is dumping smoke due to crank seals? I orderd crank seals for the 98 this one is an 01 but I can use them for this machine instead and order new ones if need be

Download the service manual as it has all info in there. I haven't seen a tutorial on replacing them.

Best I can give you is watch KENs engine rebuild videos. Is more then one video.

Any chance you can point me In the direction of a walk thru of fixing it

I just did a leak test and I too have a bad crank seal...I just ordered new seals if I remember ill try to film me doing it and post it here but basically all you have to do is first put your new seals in the freezer then take off the clutch cover and take off the stator cover and flywheel on the other side. Take a small screw and screw it to the seals to act as a handle to grab onto with pliers or vice grips.pull out the seals.then take a torch and heat up the case around the crank shaft. .. the seals should just slide right in

Reactions: Jre720
I just did a leak test and I too have a bad crank seal...I just ordered new seals if I remember ill try to film me doing it and post it here but basically all you have to do is first put your new seals in the freezer then take off the clutch cover and take off the stator cover and flywheel on the other side. Take a small screw and screw it to the seals to act as a handle to grab onto with pliers or vice grips.pull out the seals.then take a torch and heat up the case around the crank shaft. .. the seals should just slide right in

Doesn't sound to bad but deffinatly if you can get a video up just so I'm 100% sure that would be real cool man I have some knowledge and can learn very fast I know all about top ends and carbs and things like that I just never have had to get into a crank yet

So my seal finally got here today and they gave me a lame excuse on the wait anyways I drained the oil before opening the case and I use red hp Honda oil and it was black and had a gas smell to it ...going to change seal tomorow im hoping this will fix the problem?

I will I'm waiting on a new clutch in the mail and then going to get it back together