Looking to buy a Blaster..need some input

Cisco93lude

May 14, 2008
Hello all, am looking into buying an atv and came across a few reasonable blasters in the area. I have only ridden atv's a few times but I want to get into it more. My friends have raptor 350's and a wolverine 450 4x4 so 2 strokes for me are new. What do I have to expect with owning one of these besides the rear brake issues. What maintainence will I be looking at?? I am pretty good with my hands. I work on cars all the time. I actually custom turbo'd my honda prelude so I am no amature with a wrench. Just looking to see what I'll expect as far as upkeep on this bike. thanks

blasters are 1 of the most reliable and easiest atvs to work on, and parts are pretty reasonable, any 4 stroke is alot harder to work on, thers valves, cams, timing chains, alot more things to go wrong, a blaster is pretty much just a piston, crank and tranny w very little maitenance!

^well said...but moding your blaster is probally harder than making a turbo for a lil honda..and alot funner!!!

I was asking more along the lines of what im looking at doing every time I ride. Some people have told me that I need to change the oil in it every time I ride and others say the gas as well...Also I heard the top ends need to be rebuiilt often in 2 strokes. What normal maintainence am I looking at?

I was asking more along the lines of what im looking at doing every time I ride. Some people have told me that I need to change the oil in it every time I ride and others say the gas as well...Also I heard the top ends need to be rebuiilt often in 2 strokes. What normal maintainence am I looking at?

you shopuldnt have to change gas on it every time but i would deffinatly fill it up lol i always seem to get stranded also you dont need to change oil every time but its not a bad idea to once every month or so but just make sure you have plenty of oil in there :) but other than tht i have not had any problems with my blasty except its a gas guzzler cause i always have the throttle pinned oh and went broke puttin mods on it lmao

how many people have had to rebuild their top ends already??? im not worried about doing it eventually but id hate to do it more than once a year. I kno its all in how u ride it also but just looking for background. Alotta ppl are telling me not to get a blaster b/c of the 2 stroke and also b/c there not fast enought. I am 5'11" 170.

dont listen them, blasters stock are pretty zippy but when you start moding sh*t then they get quick, and there is lots of mods for blasters,

im looking at a 2003 blaster in mint contition this weekend. its black with red nose. it was a bike for some guys daughter so Im hoping everything goes well!!! :)

I just got an 2001 Blaster and I'm about 5'11" and 178LBS. It's not fast like my brothers Banshee but It is very peppy. Totally stock and it feels great. I like the little Quad. What's the first mod I should do? I did put a K&N air filter in but I'm ready for some extras now.

what mods should i look into doing asap on it?? nothing too crazy just the cheapest most effective....

I dont know about the cheapest but i think the first thing im gonna get is some banshee shocks for my first blaster cuz it feels like a go-kart and if i were you I would get rid of that oil injection.

I checked out the blaster today it is super super clean. It was a guys bike he bought for his daughter. he says she onlhy rode it maybe 5 times and hardly took it out of 3rd gear! i should have it by friday :)

some things i would do right away..

-remove your oil injection
--New reeds (G3 carbon reeds or vForce 3 carbon reeds -- G3 are the higher end of the 2)
--Aftermarket Exhaust (preferably a right bend pipe)
--once you get a little bit done to it, put 14/40 or 14/39 sprocket set on it
--toss out those stock balloon tires and put some holeshot style tires on it (square shaped tires)
hope this was a help

***I HIGHLY RECOMEND DOING THE REEDS***