Long travel or better standard length shocks

gaffer

Sep 26, 2010
Pembrokeshire South Wales UK
I have just finished the first three races on the new Blaster
Moto X meeting the track was very rough with some big jumps.
I found the blaster was difficult to keep on track, I am 18 stone 6' 1" so I guess rather big for a blaster but really enjoy it in the woods my Query is has anyone got suggestions on what would be a good way forward for my track work?
Would longer travel shocks be better or standard better qaulity?
I see Diamond J make a kit for YFZ front shocks on standards arms has anyone tried these ?
Oh for the record the 39 year old over the hill managed to finish all three races and 15 year old son that plays football and can run miles couldnt manage the third Life in the old bugger yet !!!

dont get that garbage kit.
get some wider long travel a-arms if you have the money to spend. they are not cheap.
or you could get just wider a-arms and better shocks. like some +2+1 or +3+1 and some elkas and be happy.
you should also get a better rear shock. either get an elka or do the 400ex upgrade. the elka shock will be better but will cost more.
what ever you do, dont get the J kit.

get some ASR long travel a arms and a set of works shocks or yfz shocks that are set up for your weight

then on the rear get a 250r or 400ex rear shock and a +2 swinger

Yip elkas will make a world of difference, when I switched to them it was night and day compared to stockers. I am not running x-tended arms, as i wouldn't be able to fit on most of the trails i ride.

Will have to wait till next year before I can afford that sort of cash out lay but the kit does look good, the only problem is we get hammered for tax whe n the kit is shipped over from the states.
have got my eye on a pair of new YFZ450 standard shocks on ebay for £300 $450 to $500 I think that is
I have been told these work well as a stop gap

Last edited by a moderator:
you may be able to get some a arms that are made over there, check out quadzilla parts

Have thought about Quadzilla arms but never really happy with chinese kit and I would have to make or buy a set of Diamond J shock mounts to use the YFZ 450 shocks.
As for extended swingarm I was told this stops them turning as quick as they do anyone know how they handle with them?
Thanks all for info so far really is so much choice its hard to know what to fit for the best results

Have thought about Quadzilla arms but never really happy with chinese kit and I would have to make or buy a set of Diamond J shock mounts to use the YFZ 450 shocks.
As for extended swingarm I was told this stops them turning as quick as they do anyone know how they handle with them?
Thanks all for info so far really is so much choice its hard to know what to fit for the best results

They handle ALOT better with an extended swingarm. Cornering is still quick, imo. Accelleration is alot better, you can hit the throttle harder without getting the thing to wheelie all the time

is that stock yfz shocks your talking about for 450 to 500 bucks if so i wouldnt spend that much money on a set of stock shocks. if u can hold out a little longer there is always some elkas or works that pop up for descent prices. there was a complete set front and rear of stage 3 or the elite elkas that came on for 550 buy it now but they go fast i tried to buy em but they got snagged up before i could complete the buy it now thats how fast they went and was only listed for about 10 minutes. if you want a good deal on some stock yfz shock go to yfzcentral.com register and post in the wanted section for some standard length shocks and ill guarantee u get some bites pretty quick.that is where i have been getting most of my deals on the stuff i have been getting lately and its usually some real good prices. heck i have been seeing stock length yfz elkas on ebay all the time for less than 500

I got a set of 07 YFZ's for $200 , an hour later a set of 05's went for $235. Ya just gotta play the eBay game. If ya look for a shock like Works, I'd look for a model with adjustable compression & rebound. It's nice to have a well built shock but a pain to have to send it to the factory to have it tuned like some of the old Works. Shocks are advertized expecting you to know what your looking for. If you want to be able to adjust more than just the preload then be sure they are adjustable. IMHO