Leak down tester question

x-man

Jan 28, 2016
Hey guys I have the leak down tester that goes into the spark plug I want to know if you have to block off the exhaust and the carburetor and how do you do that to you really need to take off the exhaust and carburetor to do a leak down test

What you have is a compression tester. A leak down tester is different. PM Awk08 about one.

Hey guys I have the leak down tester that goes into the spark plug I want to know if you have to block off the exhaust and the carburetor and how do you do that to you really need to take off the exhaust and carburetor to do a leak down test
What you possibly have is a leak down tester designed for a 4 stroke. This tests the pressure leak down past the rings.

That device often gets confused with a " leak tester which is used to test crankcase pressure of a 2 stroke.
A leak tester is fitted to the inlet and then pressirising to 7psi.

Reactions: best
I agree with two post above.
You can still use it by blocking the intake and exhaust and using a lower pressure (0-15psi) guage.
You want no more than 7psi max or you could blow the crank seals out.

Steve

Pressurising at the plug will not test the carb boot as the reeds should seal it and stop pressure at the reed block.

Reactions: Awk08