KTM chassis/Blaster engine - BUILD!!

Ok here's a stupid question but here goes: the coil - it's got two holes and I'm guessing it needs to be mounted with both of them to work?? If it does that means more cutting/welding not that that's a big deal but jw! Other than that - all that's needed is pipe, rest of the wiring, and a chain and it's test ride time!! Should put me into march and all of the snow will be melted. Oh yea carb and twist throttle need done yet too

She runs!!

I posted this on Thumpertalk too but I thought I'd put it here as well!

I'm sure alot of you had given up on me. It's been a crazy couple of weeks but today it's rainy and I had a chance to work on it. Got the twist throttle on and the pipe is on but not quite right. I'm really looking forward to finding out if that pipe will work or not but where it meets up to the motor it's leaking pretty bad. Other than that it's back to work on it now. It's still got a while but a running bike got my spirits up about the project!!

100_0822.jpg

100_0822.jpg

Thanks for the update. My projects drag on for months, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Glad to hear it runs. That's always a boost for me when I build something and it comes to life for the first time!

Wow I just noticed that I posted the same pic twice! Here's the other one that I wanted to put on here:

100_0820.jpg

thats pretty cool I wonder how its gonna run with that pipe

Yea I'm anxious to find out too! I'm kinda hoping 200 ktm - 200 yamaha? I know theyre not built with the same power curve and everything but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Today reminded me why I want to do this project - did a 70 mile enduro and got my XR400 buried in the mud. Stalled it and til I got it unstuck by dragging it out on it's side it wouldn't start. KICKING AND KICKING AND KICKING... UGH!!! I need a two stroke!

IFFF this happens to actually work the way I'm hoping it'll be a no frills woods weapon that weighs around 230 lbs compared to the XR's 260? 270 something? Wow that'll be nice. If not - it'll get parted out and I'll buy a kdx or something!

I'm sure that bike will be slower than if it had the original engine. Interesting swap though. It seems kind of pointless to swap a blaster engine into anything, but maybe a go cart.

Well I got it out and ran it today. The good news is that it runs but not very well. IF I can get it up in the rpms it's fine and sounds like it's running great but at a certain rpm it just dies and kinda sounds "bound up," backfires, and then shuts off. Hi rpms tho it sounds perfect. Could this just be jetting??

i really wonder if part of your problem is the pipe. mixing 2 stroke pipes doesn't always work right. check the jetting though, it could be getting lean at that RPM and making it want to stall out

hey the blaster dg extreme pipe will work for that build give it a look I:I

Do you run one of these pipes?? If so could I see some pics of how it wraps around the engine/frame?

Also brandoz28 - this low end would be clip position correct? I'm not too familiar with smokers as I've been riding four strokes since I was 16. I would want to raise the needle (or lower the clip) to get richer on the bottom?

Thanks for all this info guys it's greatly appreciated! Sometimes I get kinda down about my build cuz I don't know if it'll work the way I want it to and then other times I feel like it'll be the greatest thing on the trails!

Well very little progress on this project. Very busy with work but I had time to find a tank and do a mockup! I think I have everything now to complete this thing (cept maybe a rear fender)

100_0959.jpg

100_0961.jpg

It's an '82 YZ 125 tank and it seems to fit pretty well. So back to dreaming/the drawing board again. That friggin pipe is ugly as sin, but it does run right now.

O yea so what to do about color coordination? Just make it be a rainbow? Orange fender, yellow tank, black rear fender and silver side panels? That's what I've got layin around here but it'd be neat to make it match. Oh yea I gotta get it finished before I worry about bling...

Why don't you use a WR200 "FMF or Pro circuit pipe"? I don't see why it wouldn't work, might require some persuasion but prolly worth a shot.:-/

Why don't you use a WR200 "FMF or Pro circuit pipe"? I don't see why it wouldn't work, might require some persuasion but prolly worth a shot.:-/

The money spent at a long shot and the neck has to be long to get past the frame and to the motor so I need to modify something anyway. Might as well mod a factory free pipe IMO.

I still have desire to make this work but I'm kinda afraid it'll suck up a bunch of time and I'll be disappointed in the end anyway?

Then I went to the "chopper" or cafe racer idea (can't remember if i mentioned that here before or not)

Drop the forks low in the triple clamps, hardtail, old dt metal headlight, no silencer, underslung pipe (think it'd be easier not to have to weave it all around the motor and keep it out of the way of my legs and trees), drag bars... who knows what I should do! But I feel like I got the motor and it's in and tight, all I need to do to get it running right is get the pipe worked out. Maybe even an old ct175 pipe would work? Or an IT200 pipe - anybody know are they the same motor?

Or maybe someone on here wants a project hint hint ;)