Keihin PWK vs PJ???

mjgnslngr

Dec 11, 2011
Vermont
www.facebook.com
a lot of guys here have run one or the other or both. im asking which is easier to tune, gives you the best performance and reliability and drivability AND with what Mods do you have and what Size carb. please speak up!!!!

I've heard many good things about the PWK. I have also heard that the PJ is more difficult to tune for your engine. I've got a PWK model on my blaster and it was easy as hell to adjust according to my engine

Never ran a PJ! I ran in my PJ's however!

PWK is all I have ever had other than stock crap!

Awkster has the PJ and loves it, only thing with it i believe he had to use the top cable keeper as a idle adjuster.. I think that is what he did? Maybe he will chime in.

Whick ever you will want a CEL needle for it that is the best one for our blasters IMO!

ive been known to run in my pj's too, it was not good my friend...not good.

hows your luck been with the pwk? oh, u had an oko too???

I love the 33pwk! I have the 35 air stryker from my son's build I want to try, and see if there is any difference in power/response.

the 30oko, was a PITA to jet right, I went through five needle changes all clip positions tried, four mains, and three pilots all with hardly no big change! however my right bend didn't seal and I bet money that wasn't helping my situation!

The only bad thing on the PWK's is the plastic idle screw, strips easy. They do not recommend you use a metal one at all, but I have one and have zero issues!

Corect me if I am wrong but I beleive when I was carb hunting I read that the new mikunis they combined the idle set and air screw into one setting and it was a bugger to tune.

for the guys with the keihin's, what did your carb come off from originally? and for the mikuni's, doesn't KOR run them with great results??

Brutha, ken swears by mikuni. I prefer my Pwk. Mine came from dealers. Woodwardspecialties.com he is a member on here and will match most lowest prices u can find!

I rock a 34mm Mikuni TM carb on my Blaster and I like it. Specs? 5fp17 needle clipped in the middle, Q-2 needle jet, 32.5 pilot, 320 main. My ported engine likes the carb and it runs well with it. Jetting and tuning has been a PITA, if only because so few people on here run one on a Blaster. BUT, I'm learning as I go and I like to experiment with different carbs. I would recommend a Mikuni if you're willing to take the time to tune it properly.

I used to run a 28mm Keihin PWK carb on my Blaster before I had it ported, and it ripped with that carb, too. I'm not partial to one brand or the other; I've had good luck with both and either carb willl feed your engine well once jetted properly. I have two whole sets of jets. One for Mikuni carbs, and one for Keihin carbs.

Ken O'Connor Racing does indeed like and recommend Mikuni TM carburetors. Here's the catch: Ken (at least when I spoke to him last summer) runs the older Mikuni TM carbs which were originally used on ATC and TRX 250r's. The old-style TM carbs have a metal slide with a different cutaway than the polymer (read: plastic) slide used in the new, off-the-shelf Mikuni TM carbs such as mine. SO, tuning and throttle response will differ slightly from the newer and older Mikuni TM carbs. Its not a deal-breaker, but I would try to find an older TM carb if you were to go that route.

i can tell ya ....skip the PJ, what a mutha F to tune.
a pwk is in the works soon, maytbe slick will get off his half broken azz and decide which one he likes better, and sale me the unused one soon ???

on another note, ken has just switched to a pwk, so he can gain some experience to pass along to his customers,
he told me he couldn't tell a difference powerwise between the pwk and the TM

I have run them all on various motors over the years. About the same hp can be made with any of them if you compare apples to apples. The only advantage of a flatslide carb is that it can be shorter and lighter once you get up into the over 30mm sizes. My most recent experience is with PKW38 and 39mm carbs on my 125 to 380 engines. Air Stryker and the non-Stryker types. Recent theory at KTM is to run the PKW35 instead of the 38&39 to fill in mid range. This is on a high strung 300cc two stroke making up to 60hp.

I like the PWK. The main jet is replaceable without removing the bowl but you have to be able to twist the carb. Big selection of jets, needles and slides, but then there is for everything else too. The Stryker versions do work better at low rpm IMO, but then the motocross crowd believe they give up hp on top end.

I think the time for a larger carb is AFTER you have head, porting, and pipe sorted out. Once you have made 35+hp and feel the strangle at top rpm. Otherwise, you will be awash in a sea of jetting confusion as you try to figure out all the other issues. Remember the guy who had everything done to his engine (including big carb) and could only do 54mph? If he had got there on stock carb he would have known that his issues were not carb related. I don't think he ever did get if figure out.

A DT200 makes 32hp on the stock Blaster sized carb. That engine has no problem reaching over 65mph in a Blaster, I've seen it, and with gearing it would do more. My opinion is to get everything else straightened out before you jump up in carb size.

i can tell ya ....skip the PJ, what a mutha F to tune.
a pwk is in the works soon, maytbe slick will get off his half broken azz and decide which one he likes better, and sale me the unused one soon ???

on another note, ken has just switched to a pwk, so he can gain some experience to pass along to his customers,
he told me he couldn't tell a difference powerwise between the pwk and the TM

Ohhh I see, kick a guy when he is down! :D

Ready for another fine fishing day??? HAAAAAAA!

Looks like I should bring a carb to the ride with me huh?

PWK For the record!