Just Purchased a Blaster :D

Lenrad

May 3, 2015
Hi,
I am new to this forum..... I have to decided to buy myself a Blaster, 1990 yfs 200, for the summer. I plan to use it for the every other day trip to a nearby public swimming location.

Here is my Question:
The Blaster is over 20yrs old.... what should I check-up /preform maintenance on, before I take it for a spin? i know that there isnt much to the vehicle, but I thought asking wont do any harm.
Thank You

Before you even start the engine you should do this!

Many used bikes are bought with air leak problems which can be bad news.

Thank u Blaaster..... I will do that. I used to own an rgv250r (suzuki 2stroke vtwin), it suffered a seizure at over 100miles...Not a nice thing. I pulled the clutch instinctively, although I was very inexperienced at the time.
Rolled to a stop and popped her into neutral, pushed it home about 2 miles. I live on top of a hill.:)

Reactions: Fast6hand
I would do a leaktest as said, and compression test, change the oil, grease/lube/oil everywhere you can get. Check the frame over real good, look for cracks anywhere, and loose bolts. When I got mine the swingarm had 2 cracks, that you could only see from the bottom. Would be a good idea to thouroughly clean the carb and check the jetting and float heights as well. Check your cables/brake adjustments, to ensure its all working properly. Basically the same checks I make at the beginning of each season, i'm sure I forgot something tho

Thank u Larry's Shee and tbrooks ,

I will check, clean and lube all the mentioned points of interest...

Yes, I had a shop fix her up.... But, I sold her off about a year later before joining the army.
The guy at the shop told me that the piston was welded to the cylinder wall.
I found this article, explaining the occurrence:Piston Seizure on Pro Saws

Seizure marks located near the exhaust port. This is typical damage caused by a lean seizure.
Operating conditions that can cause a lean seizure include: incorrect carburetor settings, a clogged fuel filter, stale gas, alcohol in fuel, an air leak, part throttle operation, or sometimes a combination of factors.

:rolleyes: