jetting oil and carb suggestions

smuckerpud

Feb 6, 2014
eastern PA
I have an 02 that I could use some input on. Engine is bored .090 over (68.25mm piston, not BB kit) full Toomey B1 exhaust kit. Slight sprucing up of the ports. Wouldn't go as far today they are ported. Touched up from the previous owners piston blowout. Fresh wiseco 68.25mm piston and crank kits. All new trans components including clutch, flywheel, everything. Oil injection eliminated. Stock carb. Miiiiiiight gear it a tooth lower.
I run 600-800ft elevation on trails about 95% of the time. All weather conditions. E.I. went out yesterday for 10hrs and it was 9°f, went in august when it was 100°. Im 150 lbs. Im not a really aggressive rider. Don't do WOT very much. No crazy hills like the guys I go with. Basically I have kids and don't need to get really hurt and I ride accordingly.

I'm looking for input on a oil mixture ratio, including octane for use most the year if not at least half. I know u should go thinner when colder but not sure of the calculations when factoring premix/octane/amb temp/engine.

I'm cheap and like reliability. That said, I'm proooobably going to stick with the stock carb for a while. Could use input on a jetting to start with.
If the power gain/ price ratio is good enough from another carb, it is always an option. Was looking for suggestions on a replacement and performanceimprovement/jetting for them. Basically can u convince me its worth with?
Thanks guys

PS love thus forum

Stock carb is fine for your mods, no need to waste money on a larger carb, you may loose power.

See Toomey page to confirm jetting

http://www.toomey.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=1&Itemid=10

TOOMEY B1 #280 - #290
Aftermarket air cleaner + 1 or 2 size larger.
Air box lid off +2
32:1 pre mix +1
Needle in the middle slot.
32.5 pilot jet
Plug chop to confirm, as temperature, elevation and humidity come into the equasion

Pre mix ratio, 25:1 or 32:1, good quality oil, not stuff used for weed whackers, chainsaws or outboards, they just don't cut the rubber.

My preferred oil is Maxima 927 Castor bean oil, it provides maximum protection and peace of mind at higher temps, used at 25:1

No need for high octane fuel, 89 to 93 pump gas will be fine.

If you are toying with changing a sprocket for lower gearing, I hope you understand that you need to change both sprockets and chain, otherwise it may be very costly for you and the bike.

Last edited:
doesn't Toomey provide a 310 main jet with their kit, which includes pipe, filter and airbox lid vents ?
i'd buy main jets 290 thru 330, start large and plug chop down

Reactions: 240Fun
I still gotta check wether the main jet is stock or the Toomey jet. Picked up the suggested range anyway and all the plugs and stuff for the initial break in. Just got the case back last night. Had to get it welded and machined. Another 25$. Going to start re-assembly one of these nights. Thanx again for the input.

sounds like a plan, keep us posted