jetting again....

Fatty98

Jul 24, 2013
Mass
Ok gentlemen one more for u. I am new here but not to the motor or offroad world. Have a 98 Blaster with boyeseen two stage reeds, k&n filter, fmf silencer but stock header, tors kit removed, average riding plug looks good but when I did a chop it is waaayyy lean. I mean WHITE! Should these mods be around a 250 main jet or higher? Thanks

Is the airbox lid on? 250 should be really close for what you have. Has the motor been leak tested? Carb clean? Float height set?

The lid is on right now but, thinking of ditching it now. Carb is clean and float is set spot on. No air leaks.

Haha, i know that. I meant specificly on these bikes. Lol. Also last question, do you think i will need to move the needle clip as well?

Usually it is not required to alter the clip setting on the needle.

The idle will need re adjusting after any changes in breathing.

It would pay to do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle plug chop as well as a WOT if you intend to make breathing changes.

If you are under 1000 feet in elevation, 270 main, 3rd clip down with lid ON, if lid is OFF, 330 main with clip on second position down from top. I am about 50 foot above sealevel, Both of this jetting is dead on with what you have as I have had 9 blasters and lots of jetting R&D with them.

Bearing in mind that bikes are like women, they are all different.

It is not fair to say that because it works for you, that it is the correct jetting.

What pipe do you run, what air filter, is it clean, what oil and what ratio.

Taking the lid off does not usually call for a increase of 6 jet sizes, it usually is two sizes.

If the idle is re adjusted the needle clip can usually be left on the middle slot.

When you add more air by removing the lid the needle mixture must be richened to suit,. lifting the clip will make the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle mix dangerously lean.

I fear there is some misinformation here.

What ever you do with the jetting and breathing, plug chop to confirm.

I should of saw this coming, All 9 of my Blasters had either one of these two jet settings, 32:1 always, I've mainly run with lid off on nearly all of my quads, stock fatty pipe or FMF, same, FMF or Pro Circuit slip on, same, UNI or Moose Filter all same, clean and oiled, the jetting has been the same as I never had any other exhaust then that of above, all were virtually the same either with lid on or lid off, going from a 230 with lid on to a 250 with lid off, two sizes as you say, will burn your piston out quicker then sh*t and is pretty uneducated advice from someone with so many years in the "Two Stoke Business". With Full FMF exhaust, open air box, dual stage foam filter required TEN main jet sizes larger for a perfect bronze plug chop and a Blaster that F'n ripped, time and time again on the drag strip, trail or track. Never experienced a failure of any kind on any Blaster I have built and all Blasters I have had had same or similar mods and this was without question perfect jetting on every one of them. Air may be a little thinner over there on your government controlled prison continent. Is this the only forum you troll? Or are there others?

Bearing in mind that bikes are like women, they are all different.

It is not fair to say that because it works for you, that it is the correct jetting.

What pipe do you run, what air filter, is it clean, what oil and what ratio.

Taking the lid off does not usually call for a increase of 6 jet sizes, it usually is two sizes.

If the idle is re adjusted the needle clip can usually be left on the middle slot.

When you add more air by removing the lid the needle mixture must be richened to suit,. lifting the clip will make the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle mix dangerously lean.

I fear there is some misinformation here.

What ever you do with the jetting and breathing, plug chop to confirm.

Last edited:
I should of saw this coming, All 9 of my Blasters had either one of these two jet settings, 32:1 always, I've mainly run with lid off on nearly all of my quads, stock fatty pipe or FMF, same, FMF or Pro Circuit slip on, same, UNI or Moose Filter all same, clean and oiled, the jetting has been the same as I never had any other exhaust then that of above, all were virtually the same either with lid on or lid off, going from a 230 with lid on to a 250 with lid off, two sizes as you say, will burn your piston out quicker then sh*t and is pretty uneducated advice from someone with so many years in the "Two Stoke Business". With Full FMF exhaust, open air box, dual stage foam filter required TEN main jet sizes larger for a perfect bronze plug chop and a Blaster that F'n ripped, time and time again on the drag strip, trail or track. Never experienced a failure of any kind on any Blaster I have built and all Blasters I have had had same or similar mods and this was without question perfect jetting on every one of them. Air may be a little thinner over there on your government controlled prison continent. Is this the only forum you troll? Or are there others?

Might want to calm it down a lil Slick. I had a bike with similar mods and I had a cardboard color plug with a 270. If you were running a 330 in "all nine" of your blasters you need to learn how to jet or you need to fix the air leak in "all nine of your blasters. 330 is to rich. FMF recommends a 260.

Dangerously lean?? Are you kidding me, 330 is rich over the stock 230 WITH LID OFF and 270 with lid on is also much richer then he is trying to recommend, he is recommending only going 2 sizes over which equates to a 250 main jet with lid off, how is that not lean? that's just plain stupid! Blaaaster offers no encouragement and just plain doesn't know at all what he's talking about when it comes to jetting, all he does is attack people with ridicule and try's to beat down there confidence with his negative attitude, i'm pretty damn sick of it with only the short time ive been on here. I've heard ZERO things positive out of him.

Blaaster in no way is trolling.... He is giving his advice, as you have.

And yours do all sounds dangerously lean....

Last edited:
No need to calm it down, just sick of one person who seems to think he knows it all, all of them could not have had air leaks, 260 was lean on the 04 two days ago when I put it back together and jetting it with lid on, 330 is with lid OFF. The one I now have had extremely low hours on it since new, the piston had no wear at all when I just pulled it out. I jetted it up to a 270 yesterday with it on the stock 3rd clip position and it now pulls like a freight train, no question it is spot on. On at least 5 of the 9 I ran a 330, lid OFF, with perfect jetting over the course of hundreds of hours on the same piston and years of straight beatin it. I have two friends at my local, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki dealership that sends me guys that need there YFZ450's jetted as well as carbed utility quads because there techs can't dial them in like I can. I will pull the carb, rejett and plug check a dozen times if I need to until its dead on, I don't claim to know it all but I damn sure know my Blasters when it comes to jetting.

Might want to calm it down a lil Slick. I had a bike with similar mods and I had a cardboard color plug with a 270. If you were running a 330 in "all nine" of your blasters you need to learn how to jet or you need to fix the air leak in "all nine of your blasters. 330 is to rich. FMF recommends a 260.

No need to calm it down, just sick of one person who seems to think he knows it all, all of them could not have had air leaks, 260 was lean on the 04 two days ago when I put it back together and jetting it, The one I now have had extremely low hours on it since new, the piston had no wear at all when I just pulled it out. I jetted it up to a 270 yesterday with it on the stock 3rd clip position and it now pulls like a freight train, no question it is spot on. On at least 5 of the 9 I ran a 330 with perfect jetting over the course of hundreds of hours on the same piston and years of straight beatin it. I have two friends at my local, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki dealership that sends me guys that need there YFZ450's jetted as well as carbed utility quads because there techs can't dial them in like I can. I don't claim to know it all but I damn sure know my Blasters when it comes to jetting.

I am just saying 330 seems really rich. I have never needed more than a 280 (winter time) jet with those mods. I'm at sea level too. I know bikes very some. Most people with FMF (or similar) pipe, a/m reeds, lid removed, and a/m filter run between 260-290.

For the record I don't think you need to jump up 6 sizes on the main for removing the lid. That's saying if you take a bike that is 100% stock and remove the airbox lid you have to run a 290. I find that really hard to believe. I have never jetted a bike with the lid on though.

To the OP..... You can do as blaaster said and 1/2 and 3/4 chop it. Or you can do it by feel. Just get it to where it feels smooth. You should either be in the middle though.