is this knock normal

Check your crank out. The connecting rod might have some excessive play in it. Once you get the top end off, check for up and down movement, and side to side. You dont want any up and down, and 3mm side to side max.

That 230 main is really low for your mods, elevation and temps. Maybe look into getting a few larger Main jets as well.

it looks way different than my pic that was the first day i got it it has no flat tires now rims are gloss black it has a dg front bumber all blue plastics except for the rear purple ones headlight works high amd low .. killswitch still doesnt work the rear taillight works now new left brake hub 2 new tire rods adjusted front brakes slowly but surely its gonna come together ill post pics tomorrow

it looks way different than my pic that was the first day i got it it has no flat tires now rims are gloss black it has a dg front bumber all blue plastics except for the rear purple ones headlight works high amd low .. killswitch still doesnt work the rear taillight works now new left brake hub 2 new tire rods adjusted front brakes slowly but surely its gonna come together ill post pics tomorrow

It takes time, but Its worth it when your done. Sounds like you've been hard at work on it.

Reactions: 2smokin
dirty. if it is the crank like i first thought it was my idea was when i get around to it i wanted a 3mill stroker not the 4mill one .. ive heard 1 mil left to right but i think yous sounds more correct and yes the 230 seems low but plug chop says different and im premixing 32-1 and i should correct that i cheated during the plug chop .. never cut the threads cyz the bosch has the ceramic showing i know im totally incorrect and shouldnt judge with that crappy plug chop and the reason for the bosch is the last plug was so black and full of crud it would not spark and it was black and oily

and yes ive spent every afternoon doing what i can without a garage and money at this point switching jobs sucks but ive worked on this thing everyday in freezing temps or in high winds matched with 10 degree weather so im determined to have a nice blaster ever since 6 yrs ago i seen this thing and wanted it and now years later i have it so it will be mine untill i get a banshee or i destroy this one to pieces either way its mine now

speedy i would rather not blow it up due to the fact that if it blows and i need to bore and hone or it goes and metal gets down iinto the gears id be in more than i would like but detonation i run 93 and the last plug while it lasted was the old br8es same noise was there so idk

Honestly save a few bucks and Get that crank rebuilt. The OEM Yamaha crankshaft is the best one made.

Rebuild crank, rebuild bottom end, Get a re-configured head, and a tight top end, you'll have a good solid bike. Just take it one step at a time. Where is Newell WV? I'm south of Pittsburgh near Washington.

You can do whatever you want, I was just trying to save ya a few bucks!

I have the KOR reconfigured head. I'm happy so far on 1 ride this year.

I'm not to far from you, maybe 1.5 hrs.

2 options run it till it blows or put a new top end or complete bottom n top.you may have detonation due to your spark plug
Just slow down Speedy, what kind of good advice is this, "run it till it blows"?

A better choice of answer would have been " investigate and repair before it blows and costs you a whole new motor"!

The br8es is the plug you should be using, and detonation would not have been caused by it, if it is detonating the #230 main jet is the culprit.

The #230 jet is way too lean and if the engine has been run for any period at 3/4 and above there could be damage to the piston.

It would pay to remove the cylinder and measure the piston.

Last edited:
i was being a smart allic,people on here can give options to fix it.Its up to person to take the responsibilty.Either way its the truth if you suspect foul play you need to investigate.I really cant see anyone taking what i said about blowing it up seriously.Im a jokester sometimes,play along.If i told you to jump off a bridge would you?dont take this as being rude Im smiling,but also serious.

It might just pay for you to lay off the Tom foolery.

Try sticking to giving helpful, good advice.

speedy i would rather not blow it up due to the fact that if it blows and i need to bore and hone or it goes and metal gets down iinto the gears id be in more than i would like but detonation i run 93 and the last plug while it lasted was the old br8es same noise was there so idk

On reading this reply I feel that 2smoking thought that you were serious about him blowing it up!

Thank goodness he was smart enough to understand the consequences, some younger members on BF may not have the experience to weigh up the ramifications.

Last edited:
Lol yes thanks for trying to save me money .. A penny saved is a penny earned and I will be putting a br8es in tomorrow .. Or today seeing its midnight and I figured that 230 is a tad low for my mods .. I wasn't sure if you were serious about blowing it or not lol kinda thought you were I guess :). I will pull the head and post pics within the week I want gaskets before i seperate any jug or head .. Ever been to Wellsville yellow creek used to be 3 rd riding spot in the nation I'm not sure about now tho its like 500+ acres hills mud rock it has it all

Blaster I'm glad to see you chime in I've read this forum for countless hours and always see you giving awesome advice and I consider your words of wisdom thanks and speedy your all good dude thanks for the tips

If you have not already started to strip it down, do a leak test to see if it is airtight.

Thank you for your words of confidence.

That sounds to me like excessive wear... I would strip down and check clearances. A new piston is not 'that' expensive. Its the bearings and seals that kill you! ( most bearings are standard sizes available MUCH cheaper at engineering or bearing suppliers) seals are harder to find though.

Bu the way: dont use any sealant on the clutch gasket, just a thin smear of oil. When removing, work gently, and you get a few uses out of it. Some guys put sealer everywhere...

OK blaaster I will do a leak test when I buy the tester off of slick like you reccomend .. And mrtwojay the top end don't scare me non its the bottom end that makes me weary and thanks for the tip on the clutch gasket and aren't OEM bearings more sturdy than others

ok so i pulled the head off today and found that my piston has a credit card thickness worth of play between the cylinder wall and it also has an arrow pointing towards exhaust side and the numbers 66.92 on it nothing else so it has been bored 1mm over or .40 since .10'' = .25mm and the piston is 66.92 to allow for clearance and what not but can i just get a .40 topend kit and put it in or what .. i have no scratches scuff marks on the cylinder wall
and also my piston rotates clockwise and counter clockwise about 1mm or so like a pickle jar lid why is that ? wristpin bearings:} or big end bearings :{