is this knock normal

2smokin

Mar 26, 2014
newell west virginia
Hey guys I'm new here and I was wondering if this knock or whatever I'm hearing is common among blaster like I read everywhere or is it a sign of my crank crying

hard to diagnose on here it does sound excessive,they all have a knock though,only one way to find out take apart measure piston clearence,see if your connecting rod moves up n down at all. ect

yes i plan on getting a gasket set and pulling the head/jug and checking play. but you mentioned piston clearance ?
where at like the height or the circular clearance.. and just saying its not as distinct as in the video

also if it is indeed the crank what is your suggestion on a 3mill crank no machining except for a spot or two not like the 4 mill stroker

ok thats the tricky part rich1 the bike blew up 6 yrs ago in my uncles hand [damn good mechanic] i am unaware of how it blew if it seized or what .. i left to fl till just a few months ago .. bought the bike off my cousin after my uncle got it running i do not know and he does not remember what he did to it .. i know it has kn filter holes in airbox lid stock expansion chamber dg shorty oval silencer ive cleaned the carb set float level buut have never been inside the engine the noise sounds like its up towards the plug but it does not hit the plug ive done the cheap air leak test with carb cleaner no change in idle ..

yes i plan on getting a gasket set and pulling the head/jug and checking play. but you mentioned piston clearance ?
where at like the height or the circular clearance.. and just saying its not as distinct as in the video

also if it is indeed the crank what is your suggestion on a 3mill crank no machining except for a spot or two not like the 4 mill stroker

and the motor seems like it normal temp not peeling paint or anything but it has a 230 main jet in it which is low considering the airbox lid holes but i ilve at roughly 700-1000ft and it is avg 30-50 degrees this week but winter was freezing but i only had the quad for about 3 weeks

it hasnt idled in 6 years i have got it to idle and kick on the first start
Sounds like piston slap to me , piston loose in bore .You do not know the true history of the engine. Pull it down and check as other member here has advised..

what plug you got. stock piston will have the words 'art' on it .they all make noise like that some days worse then others but sounds like you should do a top end on that beast

ok this is gonna sound like i know nothing but i had no choice atm and yes i realize br8es are ony 2 dollars but currently i have a bosch platinum 2+ in it and the heat index is similar to the br8es and a new top end is coming soon but i will look at that piston for the words art and is that in the middle of the piston or towards the intake side

thats all i wanted is a little confirmation on what a more experienced 2 smoke mechanic as ive worked on many car motors and things of that sort i plan on tearing it down sometime after this monday or so gotta sell my camaro for some money to put into my blasty

speedy slyder this knock is the same hot or cold lean or rich idle it doesnt change it sounds like it goes away with high rpm but the other sounds could mask it