Idle problem

blaster37

Dec 20, 2014
Hi my blaster idles fine and the plug is golden brown, but when I rev it alittle the rpms go up and take a little while before they come back down. Could this be a jetting problem?

Sounds like you may have an air leak.. An air leak will make jetting difficult and if bad enough can case engine failure. You should perform a leakdown test. If you don't have a leak tester you can make one or buy one.

Sounds like you may have an air leak.. An air leak will make jetting difficult and if bad enough can case engine failure. You should perform a leakdown test. If you don't have a leak tester you can make one or buy one.
Ok thank you I was thinking that.

image.jpg

It may be just a simple problem like the idle speed adjustment.

If it still does it after after adjusting , then suspect an air leak.

Idle speed adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

It may be just a simple problem like the idle speed adjustment.

If it still does it after after adjusting , then suspect an air leak.

Idle speed adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

Question on this. I read hear you set idle screw to a high idle then adjust air screw to get the highest idle then adjust your idle screw again to desired idle.
http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/Instal.html
On this write up I saw you posted in another thread, it states the following:
Continue turning the air screw in 1/8 turns in the direction the rpms increase, until the rpms level out. Use the idle screw during this time to keep the idle low but not in danger of stalling. After each 1/8 turn, give the motor several seconds to adjust to the new setting. Once you have found the area where the engine neither increases nor decreases in rpms you are close to having the idle adjusted.

I guess my question is, you set the idle screw to a high idle then adjust your air screw, am I stopping once I hit the highest idle then adjust idle screw to desired idle? Or am I adjudtin the air screw until I get the highest idle then keep turning the air screw until it levels out?

I guess my question is, you set the idle screw to a high idle then adjust your air screw, am I stopping once I hit the highest idle then adjust idle screw to desired idle? Or am I adjudtin the air screw until I get the highest idle then keep turning the air screw until it levels out?

set idle a little higher than normal, adjust airscrew to find highest idle, turn idle screw back down to normal/desired idle, then 1/8th turn adjustments either way of the airscrew while riding, if needed, or until it rips.

Reactions: Fast6hand
OK that help I thought I needed a different pilot but I'm just under 1 turn out and it idles fine. Question, when I blip the throttle it seems li,e it hangs for a minute, tried adjusting pilot in and out a 1/8 and nothing. Leak tested the other day and held 7 psi for 6 min then slighted started to dip. When I I ride itaround 1/8 throttle it studderes then more throttle and smooths out. When throttle is pulled 1/4 to 1/4 its smooth, while riding if I let off the throttle and coast it studders a little. What way do I need to move my needle?

OKO (pwk) 30mm
N80 needle middle clip
48 pilot
155 main
Full FMF
Bored .040 Weisco piston
Intake ported and exhaust port ported

since you say it's hanging after letting off, try lowering the needle clip to raise the needle and richen the jetting.
but....i'm not sure what that needle # you posted is, but remember seeing others say they needed a JJH needle in 28mm keihins.

Sorry N80F the one that comes stock in the OKO carbs for the blaster. I have heard of people using them and it being fine. The local I got the Carb off used on his Blaster and ran fine, same local area as me. I have a CEL and DGF(?) As well that I was using in my 35mm. I will lower the clip and try it.