I need guidance please

noahp45

Dec 26, 2014
I have a 2004 blaster won't stay running bad top end. Should I just buy a top end or should I do a full top end and bore? I'm lost I searched and saw that I need to do a inspection on the bore and piston however I was hoping for what I should do.

I had a guy go through it hoping it would be done before Xmas for my son. He didn't get it done in time so I made sure my son had it for Christmas. So now I'm working on it to do it has a project with my kids.

I had a guy go through it hoping it would be done before Xmas for my son. He didn't get it done in time so I made sure my son had it for Christmas. So now I'm working on it to do it has a project with my kids.

thats great to get your kids involved with the build !

as posted above, a compression test is the best indicator of the condition of that top end.
most auto stores have loaner tool programs for a returnable deposit...advance auto and autozone if you have those ?
harbor freight also has compression testers for cheap ?

report your compression test results and any other problems you may have and we'll advise from there.

First off welcome to the forum. There is lots of good info here as well as some great folks. If you havn't read about it yet you may want to look into owing a leak down tester. Since you just purchased this machine it would be a good idea to leak test so you know where you stand and that everything is good. Since you will be doing top end work either way you will need one as well. It is really a must have for any 2 stroke if you don't already have one.

Awesome thank you

I ended up buying 3 blasters a 2003 the 2004 and a 97 with a yz250 water cooled engine. The 2004 is the only one that is giving me problems.

Ok going to buy some gauges to check the bore. I'm trying to figure if I can just buy a top end kit or if I should go on ebay and mail out my cylinder for it to get bored and fitted

if your really going to have ken do it.
'then i would guess you would need to talk to him.
he comes on here once a day/and has a phone number too:)
start conversation with the link i posted or call him up

I just measured my bore I took 8 measurements

Should I get it bored or just order a top end kit?

I used a digital caliper and bore gauges

I just measured my bore I took 8 measurements

Should I get it bored or just order a top end kit?

I used a digital caliper and bore gauges

Think of it this way, if you buy a top end kit, and put it in, there are some question marks your going to have.

If you spend $60 on a bore, and its matched to the new piston, you don't have any questions.

Its a lot to take in at first, its great you see doing this with your kids! Do it right the first time do they can enjoy the blaster. :)