How to install a cylinder.

very nice ken, those are good tips with the circlips and washing the cylinder that alot of guys may not know. I:I I:I thanks for another great how to!

this is a good one for me soon lol, great job ken

What kind of torque wrench do you have that can fit in the small gap to tighten the cylinder bolts, its so tiny any suggestions?

Last edited:
now ken, those gudgeon (SP?) pins, one time i took my head off and it stayed in bottom end so now there it two? its never given me problems but that aint normal is it?

very nice video ken,the onlything i do different is a use a 5-gallon bucket half full of water and dawn soap mixedup and paper towel the cylinder in the bucket,and hit the intake and exhaust ports with a small scrub brush, and cylinder real good with this bucket.
then i dump the bucket do it all again.
then i wipe the cylinder with a clean paper towl to make sure it is spotless on metal and hone dust.

i was tought you have to really wash with a lot of water because the honing oil will trap particals in the intake port and cylinder.I:I

i may be cleaning more than needed though.

great video keep them comeing it is teaching me alotI:I

Nice video. When i rebuild Automotive engines i use atf though. Massive detergents in there to clean. I also use lint free towels like the blue shop towels.

Love the videos you do. Very nice!

As far as the pins go, yes, they do stay in the cylinder from time to time and that's fine.

After I hone a cylinder, I wash it with kero and brushes in the parts cleaner, hose it off, rince all of the ports with carb cleaner, rince it off again, WD-40 it and then do the final cleaning.

Reactions: blasterdemon7
There is no such thing as "too clean". To quote one of my automotive instructors. "When you finish washing your parts take those clean parts and give them a bath, then take the freshly bathed ones and wash them, then when your finally done, clean them up." There is not such thing as too clean when it comes to engine internals.

great video , I just did my top end , and now I feel like it could have been cleaner before assembly , but I did do a thorough job , next top end I'll have no questions about what to do . It will be a 72mm top end too =)

Thank you. Your willingness to share the skills you have learned will enable the resta' us to prolong our Blaster's existence. I just completed the d.i.y porting job, and am painting and assembling my engine. Thank you also in regard to the porting tutorial. Kromhard Twist drill company here in Akron, Ohio has all the necessary carbide tooling the backyard porting enthusiast will need (extended bits also!).

+1 Rep, just finished my top end and would have thought that some carb cleaner would be enough to clean it up...little dawn did the job right...Thanks Ken!!

i just got my top end bored 20over,,, the shop sold me a gasket kit for a 68mm blaster? is this ok,, and also he told me to use carb/ brake clean then wipe with atf? is this good or should i just use soap and water? thanks for the info