how does the rep points system work?

other people give you rep points. if you make a good post or give good advice people will give you a positive rep. if you like to argue, cause drama, and bash others you will end up in the red. the more rep that you get, the more you can give out.

IDK, but it might be because the people giving you rep, didn't have any rep?

So what you are saying here is that the general population here cannot give out rep until they get rep points.. So the few people who actually have rep have to initiate the rep system so you can get rep points to give others rep points. Umm that sort of sounds a little off.

I think it is safer to assume that there may be a problem with the rep system not allowing people to give/get rep points.

I hope that someone who knows the system speaks up to explain with some sort of sense because if that is the issue then someone with rep points needs to take initiative, and start distributing rep points to the active members who do not have rep points, but get involved to do their part to make this forum a better place for all of us.

So what you are saying here is that the general population here cannot give out rep until they get rep points.. So the few people who actually have rep have to initiate the rep system so you can get rep points to give others rep points. Umm that sort of sounds a little off.

I think it is safer to assume that there may be a problem with the rep system not allowing people to give/get rep points.

I hope that someone who knows the system speaks up to explain with some sort of sense because if that is the issue then someone with rep points needs to take initiative, and start distributing rep points to the active members who do not have rep points, but get involved to do their part to make this forum a better place for all of us.

good point tim

Actually what I was saying, was IDK = I dont know.

It was a wild ass guess that nobody had mentioned yet, sorry you thought it sounded a little off.

If you go to your user CP, you can see if you have recieved any rep or not, and who from, etc. etc. Check and see if anyone has, and if so if they have any points, just for sh*ts and giggles.

But IDK.

A few notes gathered on the net about Vbulletin forums.

- Everyone has a reputation power = altering power : it is how much you can affect other's reputation (adding or substracting), and it starts at 0 or 1 (haven't tested), and can only grow with register date, post count and reputation.

- Admins can fix their reputation power to 10 or whatever they want.

Whenever someone rates a post either x reputations points is subtracted or added to the reputation total. That x is called reputation altering power. So when a 2 year old member rates someone it has more influecne then a new user rating the same post.

sweet thanx...i gave you points bak...but its not showing up on your box counter thing

Session 3 of Rep Points 101 (or as much as I can find on it) :-D

It takes more than one given point to add an altering point, which my 6 is my altering points. I now have 22 rep points total though.

TIMZ........Is this info closer to what you wanted to hear? The more rep you have, the more power of change you have, makes sense dont it. We dont want new, low or no rep people to just flood the forum with rep + or -, so it is meant to only allow users that have been on awhile, or who have been helpfull, and recieved rep from other members to influence someones rep points significantly.