How did you wire a battery in your blaster??

WreklessKid

Mar 19, 2015
Hey I am trying to wire up a battery on my 03 blaster and what to know if anyone on here has wired one up yet. I am trying to wire it so it charges the battery and my lights will work when the bike is off. This is what I have do far.
The 4 pin Rectifier yellow wire is hooked up to the stator through the black/red wire and the ground I'd connected to the rectifiers ground (floated). Then the red to the wire to the battery with a 20 amp fused link in between. I clipped the white wire short since it wasn't doing anything.
For light connection I have a lead from the battery going to the yellow/red wire where the stator connects the two but the y/r wired between the stator and frame wire are diconnected.
The bike runs fine this way but the dc output from the rectifier to battery is 17-19 volts.
My question is first is that an okay set up and do I need a voltage regulator in between the lead from the rectifier to the battery?

Also if you did this mod can you please share how you wired it all up and what you used? I wanna see if I can make it alot cleaner with info from a bunch of people that have done this.

Seems like you on the right track. It has been done, try searching the forum, I have seen a few posts on this in the passed, I personally havent done this, but your setup sounds pretty good. I would think a rectifier before the battery would be a good idea, too high a voltage charging it will cause it to wear out faster or explode...

Im sure someone with more electrical experience will chime in. Welcome by the way!!

I went with the TrailTech Regulator/rectifier for my project.It is quality stuff indeed.

I hate to tell you, but you're way off track. You shouldn't be touching the black/red wire. That goes to the CDI and is strictly for the ignition system. The charge output wire from the stator is the yellow/red wire. You need to dig into the stator and float the ground on the other end of that coil. Those 2 wires go to the regulator/rectifier and nowhere else. Then you should have a red wire and a black wire coming out of the regulator/rectifier. Those are the wires that charge your battery and run your lights. Here's the cleaned up version of the stock wiring.
f3x8c1.jpg

Here's the link to the Trail tech wiring instructions. Look at the schematic at the bottom of page 2. The 2 yellow wires go to the yellow/red wire and your newly floated ground wire.

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-116.pdf

Reactions: Awk08
I hate to tell you, but you're way off track. You shouldn't be touching the black/red wire. That goes to the CDI and is strictly for the ignition system. The charge output wire from the stator is the yellow/red wire. You need to dig into the stator and float the ground on the other end of that coil. Those 2 wires go to the regulator/rectifier and nowhere else. Then you should have a red wire and a black wire coming out of the regulator/rectifier. Those are the wires that charge your battery and run your lights. Here's the cleaned up version of the stock wiring.
f3x8c1.jpg

Here's the link to the Trail tech wiring instructions. Look at the schematic at the bottom of page 2. The 2 yellow wires go to the yellow/red wire and your newly floated ground wire.

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-116.pdf

Thank you. This is honestly what I was looking for. Also thank you for the info. I will now be wiring it that way.
But a question I have is will it hurt if leave the rectifier AC in wire connected to the black red wire?

I'm surprised it even runs with anything connected to the black/red wire. No one on here has any experience with wiring it wrong in the exact same way as you have it wired. Wire it correctly before you blow something up.