Help!!!-Replaced piston...

Lexi

Sep 13, 2017
Okay so me and my husband got an 2002 blaster from my grandparents who let it sit outside for about 2 years. They knew back then that it needed a new top end. So just last week we got one and put in the new piston, rings, and all. It still won't start, and the kicker won't go down fully. Gets stuck before going all the way down. We are newbies to fixing things so we looked up videos and what not to figure out what else could be wrong. Opened where you put the oil and could see the gears aren't moving at all while trying to kick start it, so we took the kicker cover off to see if maybe the gears were just getting caught up but not luck. Looks good there. Now we're stuck and have no idea what else it could be, like I said, it's been sitting for awhile and we're newbies. Any help is appreciated!

Also, when the key gets turned on, the light doesn't come on or anything....and please refrain from making fun of me Like I said, we're new at this!!!

was the old piston broke in pieces?
did it kick over fully before you took it apart?
could be broken piston pieces/crank bearings/flywheel magnets fell off jamming up against stator.or the kicker is messud up.
you really should have a shop measure the cylinder before buying pistons:)
or try to measure it yourself
the light will only come on when you kick it or it is running/there is no battery. It is run off generator slash stator.
sounds like you got your work cutout for you as it sat outside for 2 years:)
there is alot more to be said about this blaster but here is a start others will respond
free manual
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/
kor engine assembly vids....
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids.51169/

Reactions: OConnor Racing
was the old piston broke in pieces?
did it kick over fully before you took it apart?
could be broken piston pieces/crank bearings/flywheel magnets fell off jamming up against stator.or the kicker is messud up.
you really should have a shop measure the cylinder before buying pistons:)
or try to measure it yourself
the light will only come on when you kick it or it is running/there is no battery. It is run off generator slash stator.
sounds like you got your work cutout for you as it sat outside for 2 years:)
there is alot more to be said about this blaster but here is a start others will respond
free manual
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/
kor engine assembly vids....

Not necessarily in pieces but definitely tore up. We had my mother in laws bf look at it and bought us the right size piston(he works on atvs)

how did the cylinder look?
got any pics of used piston?
not sure about the kicker issue yet but
have you done a compression test on new top end it should be at 120psi or more on a new top end
and being outside for 2 years im sure the flywheel and stator should be inspected for rust/condensation pull the plastic cover off by the foot shifter there is no oil there it will come off and go back on no problem use a fat screwdriver bit like a #2 bit
and check for spark/fuel flow
reeds are sitting flush with no gaps or chipped broken pedals
clean carb especially the pilot jet....the list goes on :)

Last edited:
how did the cylinder look?
got any pics of used piston?
not sure about the kicker issue yet but
have you done a compression test on new top end it should be at 120psi or more on a new top end
and being outside for 2 years im sure the flywheel and stator should be inspected for rust/condensation pull the plastic cover off by the foot shifter there is no oil there it will come off and go back on no problem use a fat screwdriver bit like a #2 bit
and check for spark/fuel flow
reeds are sitting flush with no gaps or chipped broken pedals
clean carb especially the pilot jet....the list goes on :)

Thank you, we will be working in it this weekend and I'll update I feel there's anything new lol

Attachments

• IMG_9189.JPG
    IMG_9189.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
Did the piston and rings "fall in" or had to play with it to slide in? Older blaster someone may have bored it out and even then I've seen what should have been half over ended up between half and a whole size off.

IMG_9246.JPG
IMG_9245.JPG
IMG_9247.JPG
IMG_9246.JPG IMG_9245.JPG
Did the piston and rings "fall in" or had to play with it to slide in? Older blaster someone may have bored it out and even then I've seen what should have been half over ended up between half and a whole size off.
We pushed the rings in the little notches on the piston, the the top just kinda slid on there, not loose and not to tight. Everyone is telling me it's the kicker. Idk what else I can do to fix it tho. Nothing else is rusted (flywheel, chain) and it's not the compression either. Feels like something is stuck in the kicker, maybe in the gears (which aren't rusted) but like I said, I have no idea where to start. Hoping to have someone out this weekend maybe to help. I'm adding pictures of the gears and the underneath of them. Not sure if I am able to move the gears by hand to see if they move....they don't.
IMG_9246.JPG
IMG_9245.JPG

Thank you, we will be working in it this weekend and I'll update I feel there's anything new lol
ouch!!!!
i would be wondering what caused that to happen and what else
it took out in its path..
if you are lucky all of that blew out of the exhaust but i doubt it.:)

take the spark plug out you can rotate engine easier by the flywheel or clutch basket
or even better cylinder head off till you figure out the rotation issue.
lexi piston.JPG

also that green paper gasket should be tossed in the trash.
good time to take top end off again and get cylinder checked for out of round taper/size and properly chamfer ports
oem or cometic base gasket only it will cause future problems airleaks....
take the time to watch all the videos i linked above it says it all
here it is again lol

airleaks
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/#post-763164

GREEN PAPER 1.jpg