help a brutha out

allthingsmoto

Oct 12, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys I have an 03. And the plastic look terrible. Prev owner sprayed it like three times with different colors. looks like crap! chips, gas spills, drips, exc... I did a quick spray with white but don't like it. I have a brand new grafx kit. but am waiting to put it on till I get new plastic. If you have a decent looking set with no cracks, paint that your not using please let me know. I need fronts gas tank cover and rears. Im not looking to break the bank. but we can probably make a fair deal. I am in Ohio.

thank you guys.

if you want to save your plastics and get the old paint off. you can take carb cleaner and a green scratch pad and go to town. i had the same problem with mine the only thing is that your done you'll need to wash your plastic with warm soapy water that will allow you to put stickers or decals with out ant problems

that will get the paint off but the scratches you put in the plastics with the scuff pad will let dirt and water get under the graphix and then they will start to peel. if you go to a local upholstery shop they can tell you of some damn good die you can get but you will have to have a huge tank to dip your plastics in. I done it on my 2001 rm 250 and it turned out great

Or you could soak a few rags in break fluid,lay them over the painted plastic,let them sit over night. The paint will bubble up and wipe off the next day.

Use paint stripper to remove the paint then sand with some fine (at least 220 wet n dry sandpaper under water) then use a propane torch to slightly remelt plastic (make sure you keep moving the torch abck and forth). Works great and brings the shine back like new. I do it on all the old faded and lightly scratched plastic. Just got done doing it to the plastic on a blaster I just picked up.

Hey guys I have an 03. And the plastic look terrible. Prev owner sprayed it like three times with different colors. looks like crap! chips, gas spills, drips, exc... I did a quick spray with white but don't like it. I have a brand new grafx kit. but am waiting to put it on till I get new plastic. If you have a decent looking set with no cracks, paint that your not using please let me know. I need fronts gas tank cover and rears. Im not looking to break the bank. but we can probably make a fair deal. I am in Ohio.

thank you guys.

mine had the same problem i used electric motor degreaser and the paint came right off it took about 6 cans to do all my plastics with no soaking or anything like that the paint just wipes off