GotMy Top End apart let me know what I have

blair683

Aug 9, 2011
k guys so I am putting new rings in my blaster and I just tore it apart. I am just wanting to make sure everything is still stock so I buy the right rings. The rod says "Hot Rods" on the one side and c.k. 144 on the other side. The inside of the piston says "Art 52 37F01 Made In Japan" are these all still stock parts? How can I tell if it has been honed before the cylinder looks amazing well and still has cross hatching. Thanks Guys!

im not sure on the piston you can take it to the dealer an have them get you the corect rings but the hotrod rod i would assume is aftermarket

well, the piston is stock for sure. the hot rods crank rod is not stock, but i'm not sure about it. my hot rods +4 stroker crank says the same thing on the rod. check to see id your cases have been trenched or not.

I think all the hot rods cranks have that same stamping on them. Afterall, the +4mm stroker cranks still use the same rod.... just different crank webs.

ART is the manufacturer of yamaha stock pistons. That doesn't necessarily mean you have as stock bore. Considering it has an aftermarket crankshaft in it, I'd venture to guess that it blew up at some point and was overbored but a OEM piston was used following the overbore. Measuring the piston diameter is the only definitive way to determine piston size.

Your going to need a micrometer to measure the piston. If you don't have one, take it to a machine shop, dealership, or mechanics shop and get it miked.

If by trenched case you mean the transfer ports being ground out then no it doesn't look like it. What would be the size of the stock piston I have a set of good starrett dial calipers I could check it with I sold all my micrometers a while back. Thanks guys.

If by trenched case you mean the transfer ports being ground out then no it doesn't look like it. What would be the size of the stock piston I have a set of good starrett dial calipers I could check it with I sold all my micrometers a while back. Thanks guys.

Nope, trenching is a process that removes crank case material (bottom end, not top) in order to clearance it for the increased size of the crankshaft (and specifically the rod) on a +4 hot rods stroker crankshaft.

It would look like about an inch wide gouge down around the bottom of the crankcase under where the rod passes all the way around.

The stock piston is 65.95mm or 2.597". Each over size up is .010" You meausre the piston size 10mm up from the bottom of the skirt from straight front to back.

No a trenched case has the crankcases ground out beneath the crank so that the larger crank can spin without grinding on the cases. You would have to look down into the case to see if it's trenched.

EDIT: SI beat me again. haha

Ok guys after wipeing the dirt off my jug someone carved "god 68.0" right below the cylinder. Does this mean anything to you guys?

Yah I figure the 68.0 is 68mm bore I lied about having calipers I must have sold them with the rest of my machining tools, I will have to take the piston down to my buddys machine shop and have him mic it.

ok! great, thanks! Another concern I have is when removing the cir clips on the piston I bent one, have you guys ever just bent them back or is this to risky?

ok! great, thanks! Another concern I have is when removing the cir clips on the piston I bent one, have you guys ever just bent them back or is this to risky?

That is VERY risky and not recommended. Of one falls out it has a VERY good chance of catching between a port and ring and ruining a bore. When you order the rings, order a set of wiseco circlips. CW16 is the number needed. They should be about $3 for a set.

Nooooo! I don't even reuse good ones. Just go buy new ones. You don't want that thing coming off with the engine spinning. New ones are your best bet.

Probably the Yamaha dealer will have them in stock, huh? I didn't see em' on ebay.

Last edited: