Got the BANSHEE going got a couple issues i cant figure out

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
Ok ive spent the last two days tuning and breaking in the BANSHEE and it starts easy when cold with the choke just a couple of kicks.Runs,idles,and drives great!The issues though i cant figure out are one it wont start without the choke when hot second the lower end is not as strong as id expect it to be.

So heres what ive done i spent all yesterday working on it and even had ken on the phone til 9pm talk about devotion to his customers!But heres whats done i have t5's chariot performance reeds,stock,carbs,toomey filter,had 25 pilots in it along with 280 mains toomey needles 4th clip a/f 1.5 turns out.I ran it like this and it was hard to start even with the choke hot or cold and ran like sh*t up top so i swapped in a 270 main and the top end was fixed it pulls like a freight train from about 1/2-WOT,after talking to ken he suggested swapping in some 32.5 pilots from my blaster and that seemed to help.The weirdest thing is sometimes after shutting it off itll start back up on 1-3 kicks no choke then others you gotta give it a 1/2 choke to fire up.

Ive checked for air leaks and it all seems soild.If you turn the choke on while running it immediately dies so i know the pilots arent too lean.I called toomey and aside from the guy acting like i was retarded he suggested all the normal stuff that id checked swapped float bowls,carb slides,carbs synced yada yada yada...

Its more of an inconvenience than anything because once it starts it idles and runs fine kinda soft on the bottom end but holy hell when you hit the power band its fierce!

Im out of ideas though so im running it past you guys i see on banshee hq alot of guys run a 27.5-32.5 pilot so i cant be too far off.

i'd at least try swapping the stock needles back in, or raise/lower the clip one more position above/below where your at now, just to see how it reacts
i've seen it more than once, these aftermarket supplied needles be completely wrong for your application

are the float heights set to spec ???

and here's where to call, that will give you specific answers and suggestions........
without the retard act, dude knows his sh*t !!!!!..............

Carburetor Parts Warehouse

Poor low end sounds like a needle problem to me as well. I never messed with the stock carbs to be to much help but i have had the same lack luster performance on low end and it was clip position as well as needles.

Personaly I would get a set of alba needles, put them in the middle clip and run 27.5 pilot and 290 to 300 mains. airscrew approx 1 1/4 out from seated.This should take care of the problem.

Shouldnt this quad be able to lift the front tires putting along and stabbing the throttle?My blaster does!

The mid/topend is unreal!The low end and hard starting when warm issues is what i cant figure out.

So should i put in the stock needles?If so what clip?What about the pilots is 32.5 too much?This isnt a heavily modded build id think my jetting would be relatively close considering the biggest change ive made was exhaust.

i'd stick with the stock or 32.5 pilots and the stock needles, fug these A/M company's that sale you jets/needles for they're products

wont hurt to give that dude at cpw.com a call, thats who fixed all my same woes, sh*tty bottom to mid range, with a needle change

I would agree the needle isn't right for the jetting, Had similar issues with my 28 mikuni carb. Needle taper was off, I raised it that helped. But then the top 3rd suffered, was too rich.
I then found a better needle but the needle's jet was smaller then the stock carb, I couldn't find the part # for it's replacement so I went to the other carb I had. Night and day difference at 1/4 throttle.

Last edited:
Shouldnt this quad be able to lift the front tires putting along and stabbing the throttle?

Absolutely, my shee will lift the front with no issues 1st thru 4th on the info I provided above. My shee is .040 over, trail port, coolhead w/19 cc domes,
stock carbs,no airbox cover with uni filter,FmF fatty pipes, I am at 600FT ASL and jetting is 27.5 pilots,290 mains,alba needles in middle clip,airscrew 1 1/8 out.

shee :: DSCF2964.mp4 video by boomadge - Photobucket

Well F**K i guess ill yank it all apart and swap needles this has got to be the 30+ time ive done it!

IDK ill probably take awks advice and call CPW monday sure wish ken lived closer he said the same because i know its some thing stupid and he could have it running and dialed in in no time.

Oddly enough this same issue was covered now that i think of it with my 240 kit i used the vitos needle and it ran like total ass until i swapped the stock needle back in and it was night and day.

What about the hard starting while warm but easily starting cold?

Is that linked to my needle being off?Id assume it would be directly related to the pilots?

Absolutely, my shee will lift the front with no issues 1st thru 4th on the info I provided above. My shee is .040 over, trail port, coolhead w/19 cc domes,
stock carbs,no airbox cover with uni filter,FmF fatty pipes, I am at 600FT ASL and jetting is 27.5 pilots,290 mains,alba needles in middle clip,airscrew 1 1/8 out.

shee :: DSCF2964.mp4 video by boomadge - Photobucket

In the vid thats how id expect mine to run!!!!!!!!!!!

F**K yea thats exactly what i expect!

Don't believe if ever seen anyone on BHQ run anything larger than 27.5p with pipes on stockish engine, nor can I recall ever seeing mention of anything but stock Banshee needles. You didn't mention # turns with 32.5p. If it were me I'd go 270-280m , 27.5p, 1 1/2t, Banshee needle middle clip.

My set-up = Unported 4mil, head spacer stock head, FMF signature series (Old Fatties), Vito's reeds, 310m, 27.5p, 1 1/2 (+-)t, middle clip stock needle. Kinda rich on main :D.

I must have got lucky with the Blasturd cause it's got a Vito's needle and is ok I:I

are you running aftermarket electronics? cdi and stator? i had a very similar issue when i was. i think i said something about issues with aftermarket electronics in your other thread. oem is the way to go with these i had to find out the hard way.

Ok i swapped in the stock shee needles middle clips,and 25 pilots and it wouldnt even hardly rev.So i pulled it all back apart and put the 32.5 pilots back in and she will rev and sounds good i havent beenable to ride it because it was 3am but it was night and day with the 25-32.5's so im definately too lean with 25's but when i pulled the plugs they were wet so i may be in fact too fat with the 32.5's so ill be ordering some 27.5's as suggested.

With the stock needles in i was able to get it to fiire on first kick after it had ran a few mins so i am definately making progress (I HOPE).

As for the electronics yea its aftermarket but it checks out and i have all the stock stuck in good working order in the cabinet in case it is an issue later on but this dont feel like an electrical issue its definately a jetting issue.Ive done plenty of motor builds (NO SHEES BESIDES THIS ONE) and you can usually tell what they need but this one has been unclear on its needs or maybe im getting old lol

Also upon comparison the toomey needles are alot longer than stockers which is kinda odd in my opinion.Also why would toomey recommend the settings and parts they do and them not work as they should?Ive looked and little to no ones running 25 pilots most are 27.5 ive seen and some are 30-32.5.I guess from all the stuff ive read here about toomey literally being gods gift to the two stroke pipes i expected it to be more accurate.

Aftermarket ignition shee parts will make you chase your tail. When your money is right you need to trash that crapola for sure. A bad ignition will act exactly like a carb issue. What your describing sounds like jetting/carbs but those cheapo parts might be hurting you as well.

Ok i swapped in the stock needles last night along with rechecking my pilots and guess what???Im blind!!!I had some how swapped a 32.5 in one and 25 in the other.Guess those BCG's i wore in the army werent for nothing with my 70/30 vision!!!

Anyhoo took it out today and she starts within 1-3 kicks and rips!The bottom end seems really rich so im assuming thats why ive not got the lowend id expect so friday ill order some 27.5's and 30's and get it further dialed in but its a BEAST so far i cant wait to get the lowend dialed in especially since a buddy just came by tonight with his 07 YFZ 450 and wants to race i told him idk if it would take him but we would see.If not now then by next summer when i send the 392 athena kit off to ken im considering buying.

A HUGE thanks to you guys for your help and a huge thanks to ken oconnor for answering my calls til 9 pm on a weekend when he should be getting sh*t faced and pounding vag not answering tech questions from across the country!