got spark but wont start

garywayne1515

Nov 30, 2016
ok here is the problem i put a new cdi box on a coil new reeds and cleaned everything but it wont start im not sure what the next move should be?

compression test.
stator/flywheel check
broken reeds
free flowing gas from tank to carb
new ngk b8es spark plug.

how did you check for spark?
what happen to it originally
or why did you buy new parts?

compression test.
stator/flywheel check
broken reeds
new ngk b8es spark plug.

what happen to it origionally
compression test.
stator/flywheel check
broken reeds
new ngk b8es spark plug.

what happen to it origionally
Well it was running one day I was riding and it acted like it was running out of gas but it was full and once it died I couldn't get it to start back up so with some questions to friends they said try the coil and the cdi and reeds I have spark just doesn't wanna start

what year is quad?
do a compression test
ground spark plug out of cylinder placed to head to check for spark.
the stator goes bad a lot of times for the spark issues..do not buy chinese stator 30 dollar 1 it wont work.
bad grounds clean grounds and do the compression test.
it should be around 120psi
clean pilot jet in carb,take it completely out and soak it in carb cleaner for like 10min
hold it up to a light you should be able to see through it
ect ect:)

what year is quad?
do a compression test
ground spark plug out of cylinder placed to head to check for spark.
the stator goes bad a lot of times for the spark issues..do not buy chinese stator 30 dollar 1 it wont work.
bad grounds clean grounds and do the compression test.
it should be around 120psi
clean pilot jet in carb,take it completely out and soak it in carb cleaner for like 10min
hold it up to a light you should be able to see through it
ect ect:)

It's a 2001 ... so if I'm getting spark it won't be the stator ? Bad stator means no spark at all I assume

if it is a strong bright blue spark then....you can multimeter it to check.
make sure the woodruff key has not broke allowing the flywheel to spin out of timing if necessary
if you have not cleaned the carb do it
and get a 30 dollar compression gauge at a auto parts store or rent one ect.
you can take the exhaust off and look up into the cylinder and piston with flashlight for free
but check the carb and compression.
free flowing gas even try loosing the gas cap or just check for fuel flow got;)
also has the tors been deleted??
if you have any pics of blaster to upload that would be great:)

carb section
electrical section on the forums home pg

Tors have not been deleted ...and yes it is a blue spark ... I cleaned the carb and fuel tank and fresh gas and still nothing I was kicking away and no start I have allways had the work done at a shop as far as the up keep . But thanks for the info I'm tryin to not haft to foot a shop bill and do it myself

on your year u just unplug it and walla i would try that
it is under front nose headlight of blaster dont get confused by this link you only have to unplug it the rest is just tidying up wires not needed.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-your-tors-88-02-models.655/
low compression
broke reed pedals
flooding or not enough gas/float height in bowl of carb
clogged filter
gas cap not venting properly
flywheel has spun on crank/or stator is just junk.
maybe a faultly kill or key switch
other then that well spark/fuel/air/timing/compression=booommm:D

others will reply ,dont worry im sure you can figure out without taking it in to a shop but it will take effort and time lol

it will cost you 30bucks to have a shop twist a compression gauge on it,for that you can buy 1 and own it:cool:

Awsome I will five it a try !!! Thanks for the info I appreciate it greatly !! I will give that a try and see what happens so I can get back ripping up trails again thanks for ur time .

Reactions: speedyslyder
Just fixed mine myself the other day. I had spark, but would not start. I put an ohm meter on the stator and saw it was not within factory specs. I borrowed a used stator. Tested it and it was withing factory sepcs for resistance. Installed the used stator. Tested plug for spark. Spark looked the same as before. Installed plug and it started on the first kick. Just my experience..