Fuel mixture..

Craig420

Nov 22, 2014
Ok. I I need to know how to mix my fuel while keeping tese things in mind. I don't want it lean. I would like it a little rich not by much but a little. But at the same time I don't want to ruin my plugs if that could even be a problem with it being rich??? Ok so how much would I mix it to get reg mixed fuel. And how much would I mix to mix it a little rich. Because I was told a little rich would be easier an safer for the engine. Let me know

Lots of us go with a 32:1 mix. that equates to 32 parts fuel 1 part oil.. so 1 gallon of gas would need 4 oz of oil. Here this will help.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

If you want to run more oil say 25:1) that's fine but you must re jet in order to do that other wise you will be running lean (bad). A new plug (b8es) with the correct jetting should not foul. If you are fouling plugs something isn't correct with jetting or you could be sucking in oil from the trans via a bad trans side crank seal.

Ok we'll How do i know what jets I have. I bought my bike from someone who raced it and all I have done was put the stock pipe back on because it was a little too loud. Engines been rebuilt. So I have no clue why the jet sizes are?

Not have I ever fooled with the jet. Honestly don't know why it is either help me please.

Fouling plugs you mean? Are you using new plugs? if it were jetted for an aftermarket pipe chances are you have a larger main jet in there. is it running like crap?. You will need to pull the carb and see what jetting you have. Also take note of what clip the needle is on.

So.... Plugs are jets?
Ok what's the correct plug to run In the winter? It stays in the teens here in the winter . And what do I run in the summer stays 50-100 here in the spring and summer
And no I have the original plug that came in it when I bought it used from the guy who raced it

No,, plugs are spark plugs. Jets are carburetor jets. You will need NGK B8es or NGK BR8es plugs. You will have to remove carb also to see what jetting is. There are some threads on jetting and how to's on the carb. Look in the carburetor section

Ok so if I ran it as is in the cold lets say teens.
I will have problems? Because of the jetting. Supposing its a normal jet

You need to pull the carb and see what jets are in there.. Or you can do a plug chop and see but I suggest you pull the carb and see what jets are in there first. If you are all stock you should have a 230 main jet. You said you bought it from someone else so who knows what could be in there..

Man your best bet in the world is to google or YouTube, how to dissassemble blaster carb. This is just the first video I found but it works.
The brass thing in the top of the carb is the jet. You simply are replacing that with bigger or smaller jets to allow more or less fuel into the motor. It should have a marking on the jet telling what size it is. That would give us some idea to tell you wether you need to go up or down. It's kinda confusing and frustrating first time you get it off but it's honestly a simple thing. And after all any problems can be answered on here :p

Are the jets labeled or numbered? Or is it a visual thing?
I'm gunna clean the whole carb anyways.....

its not hard you can actually just loosen the clamps holding the carb to intake,slide it out leave it hanging there,loosen the 4 screws on float bowl..very bottom..then it is a 6mm main jet and a small small flat head screw driver way up in there....dont loose the washer that is under main jet,if main jet ring is there then re install that too..the newbie way:) 32:1 easy way is a 16oz bottle of 2 stroke oil,then 4gallons of gas..mix the whole thing
02 carb with text 1 1 1.jpg

Ok I think there's something the others missed in pointing out to you. There is fuel/air ratio rich and there is also fuel/oil ratio rich. You don't want to run fuel lean on either as that will overheat and ruin your piston, because the fuel actually helps cool your engine. You want to run at least 32:1 on your fuel oil mix, some like 25:1 and stock is more like 20:1. Do not mix 50:1 or 100:1 as some oil directions suggest, and make sure you use oil for pre-mix, not for injection.

Your jetting will control how much fuel (and oil) are getting into your engine, for you fuel/air ratio. Jetting must be done to compensate for the temp and amount of air. Hopefully whoever was racing your quad jetted correctly, but more often than not racers run on the lean side to get a bit more power. The trade off is a much, much shorter engine life. You said you put the stock pipe back on, do you mean the silencer or silencer and expansion chamber? If I were you I would first do a compression test followed by a leaktest, just to see where things stand. Mix 32:1 as that's what most of us do, and get back to us on your jet size and also what mods are done such as is there an air box lid, filter type, exhaust, and your elevation

So.... Plugs are jets?
Ok what's the correct plug to run In the winter? It stays in the teens here in the winter . And what do I run in the summer stays 50-100 here in the spring and summer
And no I have the original plug that came in it when I bought it used from the guy who raced it

If in fact it was "raced", it would help if you listed all "mods" (modifications to motor/air intake)
Type of air filter, lid/no lid, type/brand of pipe, stock carb?, do you know if it's ported?

I run both oil and fuel "rich" plugs are cheaper than pistons. No matter what a person should carry a spare plug and a wrench with them.

The main jet will have the number stamped on it, may have to clean it with scotch brite pad to read it. I often have to use a magnifying glass to read them.

Same spark plug year round, b8es. You do have to change carb main jet for temp changes.

Do I need any special tool to acces and remove the main jet?
Jw because I've never fooled with my carbs my brother does that stuff and he's away ATM.

No, but I would suggest cleaning the outside of it the best you can before disassembly, both before and after removing from bike. then have yourself a good clean level area to work. A can of carb cleaner and maybe a bread tie or very very thin wire/guitar string works good too. I only say those tools because when its off you should clean it as well.