Found a leak!

thanks guys. i started it this afternoon. took some pics for u to look at of the piston and cylinder. Hopefully i can upload them soon. I plan on updating this as i go along, so idk if this should be moved to another spot on the forum or not?

so idk if this should be moved to another spot on the forum or not?

good idea !
moved to the general engine section, since this has progressed from an intake leak to splitting the cases :(

Just an update. Almost ready to split. Waiting on case splitter to arrive. Here's a tip for anyone doing this. Leave the motor in the frame until its ready to split. Its so much easier to loosen the flywheels, balancer and primary drive gears this way. Maybe take the gas tank off to get the head off but i had the whole thing off and had to put it back in the frame to get those nuts loose. My computer crashed so ill try to get epics up when I get it fixed.

IMHO VF4s are a waste of money on a stock motor.

Gotta partially disagree. VF4s will allow you all sorts of room to grow.

They also make it feel more crispy and give better throttle response in the low range even on a stock motor. However that improvement may not be worth their relatively high pricetag.

But if you have ANY plans of future mods like a pipe, better intake system, etc, VF4s are worth it IMO.

So just about back together. Did a leaks test before I put the clutch cover and stator back on and its leaking from the right side crank. But its not the seal its leaking from between the metal collar and the crank shaft. I don't have the balanced drive gear torque down yet. Would this be why? It doesn't seem like it should matter. Or maybe its not a huge deal because it will hold pressure once I get the clutch cover and gasket back on. I also saw on kor vid that he put some case bond on the back end of that collar. Maybe try that?Thanks for the help getting frustrated!

Last edited:
You need to put some gasket sealant between the collar and shaft otherwise the gearbox will pressurise and force gear oil into the crankcase.

Definatly not a nice smell or correct AFR.

so would i coat the whole inside of the collar with the yamabond or rtv? I have copper rtv. i tried a small amount of yamabond and it didn't stop it but i probably didn't have enough or in the right place. I added it to the small beveled edge.

Got my jug on and torqued but forgot the clutch cable holder.. do I still need to replace the. Bottom cylinder gasket if its been torqued down? I put a new one on but wasn't sure if I shouldnput another new one on tonhave it seal right.

There should be no need to replace the gasket, just unscrew the nuts diagionally and incrementally, and then re tension the same way to 18 ft lb.