Experiment: Easier Cylinder Torquing

Tbrock77, the comment from Mr Dutter was aimed at me, not you., some truth I shared really must have got up his nose.

I am in favour of people experimenting, that is how I came to gain my experience.

I too, in my long years have tried many times to re invent the wheel, but have mainly come to the understanding that intervention leads to intervention.

Thank you for sharing and accepting the feedback with a good nature.

Keep on experimenting.

Reactions: Tbrock77 and pudvah
Why stop at the top of the cylinder? Bore right on through the head. Personally, I think it's a waste of time, but hey, it's your bike. The cylinder base nut torque isn't critical enough that it needs to be that precise.

Great idea! Oh man you're really thinking outside the box! I bet you have some of the coolest sh*t in town!

Reactions: pudvah
thats not exactly true. he had the idea of the light bulb a long time. in fact, there were people before him with the idea

but he did have to try about 1200 different filaments before he found one that lasted long enough to be worth using ;)

How many of you know the first light bulbs were made with a carbon fiber filament?

How many of you know the first light bulbs were made with a carbon fiber filament?
it wasnt really "carbon fiber"... he carbonized different things to make them last longer. the extreme heat made most things burn out

his first "successful" bulb that could last 1200 hours was carbonized bamboo filaments

fun fact: only 10% of the electric put into the lights actually made light. the rest was put out in heat

Reactions: Tbrock77
hmm. if you bored holes through the head you could pull the jug without needing to remove the head. would make inspecting the piston a whole lot cheaper and easier.

hmm. if you bored holes through the head you could pull the jug without needing to remove the head. would make inspecting the piston a whole lot cheaper and easier.

That might work but on the head there is a lot of fins that would get in the way and some would be missing a good chuck out of them. I'm definitely willing to give it a try but only after I give the cylinder a good testing.

I've got about 2-3 hours on the cylinder and haven't had problems, still way too early to tell but there is definitely no added noise. I'll be borrowing my dad's infrared thermometer the next time I see him to check temperatures.

Unfortunately my girlfriend decided not to keep the quad (she doesn't like having to shift) but one of my close friends might buy it so I'll be able to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
5-6 hours on it with no issues. I honestly don't see any issues coming about with this. There is nothing that is even hinting toward a failure but I will keep posting as long as I have it.