exhaust connection question

2k1blastr

Feb 2, 2012
tulsa ok
On my exhaust, between the flange and fmf pipe.

My pipe is only held up to the exhaust flange via one spring and of course the bolt on the frame on top of the pipe..its smoking when throttled,seeping from between pipe and flange.
Is there something missing?(between the flange and pipe)?
I dont like seeing smoke coming from the front of the motor.

Ive included a sketch.

Attachments

• exhaust pipe drawing-paint.jpg
    exhaust pipe drawing-paint.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 183
get some high temp copper RTV from the parts store, remove the pipe from the flange, clean both extremely well, put the RTV on both surfaces, and then reassemble. wait about 24 hours before you fire it up to let it fully cure

nothing missing, that just happens with a lot of FMF pipes. Do what brandoz said and seal her up nice and tight and you should be set to go.

Thanx much!
is there a difference in fitting on other performance pipes?
just curious for when i go changing stuff.

not sure what you mean?

I know my power pros/f7/trinity/ct pipe does the same thing. I need to do that on mine too.

yamaha28 said something about the fmf pipes doing that,i took that as there may be other pipes out there that come with parts eliminating the leak.i dunno,first quad,first blaster ive owned.i had a couple dirt bikes as a kid but never got into it as much as i am starting to now.

some do. the RTV route needs to be redone every now and then, but it does work. the key is getting both surfaces REALLY clean, and then letting it set up/cure before you fire it up

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the switch to a toomey if you go that route. I love the power delivery of my pipe, so I deal with the maintenance of doing it every now and again. seems like i'm tearing into it to do something or other all the time anyway!

I never had a problem with leaking from my toomey. Should be set to ride with no leakage from the toomey!